Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 69 out for the first time this year yesterday. I needed to get a parking light bulb so I drove about 10 minutes down to the local parts store. After buying the lightbulb I went out to start the thing and it took a few cranks, which is unusual after it is already warmed up. On the third crank it sounded like a shotgun went off! It backfired through the exhaust. It twisted the muffler and put a nice hole in it in the front of it as well. I am not that concerned about the muffler cuz it was on the car when my dad bought the car in 1989.

So what makes this backfire happen? I am running too rich? I do not normally have black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

On a side note, when I was cranking it there was a clean, blue Subaru WRX sitting right beside me. There was a preppy dude on his cell phone sitting in the drivers seat. When it backfired he about pooped his pants and dropped his phone! There was a bunch of black dust that came out of my muffler that went his way! I got a kick out of it.

So any input on exhaust backfires?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
sounds like you may have gotten a small amount of fuel on the plug did it do it again or on your way home. maybe check to see if your floats are ok or if your carb is maybe leaking leaving un atomized fuel in the bottom of the intake plenum and into the cylinder. thats pretty funny about zit face in the wrx. my neighbor did that when i fired up my race car for the first time without mufflers :devil: he wasnt expecting that sound especially after i told him that it was stock :eek: :devil: :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts