Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 66 and I am new to the Chevy world. My first order of business was to replace the rusted out headers and exhaust which were welded together (very poorly). I cut the exhaust off and swapped the headers out for a brand new set of Hedman headers. My plan was to bolt on the headers and then drive to my local muffer shop which is only 3-4 miles away. I started the car up and it sounded like warfare in my garage! The backfires were HUGE and happened about every 5-10 seconds.

-Is this normal with open headers?
-Is there any way to prevent it so I can drive a short distance?
-Could there be another source of the problem?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
pull and check the spark plugs on the side of the backfires .....see if one or more are dark.....sound like spark plugs or wires......the open headers will be loud no matter what...but at least you can stop the back fire.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I labeled all the wires before disconnecting them and made sure they went back in the right spot. I will double check them tomorrow.

If it makes a difference, the first time I started the car after the install, it ran for 20-30 seconds without backfiring....the second time I started it (about 5 minutes later) is when it started.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
i agree on the wires

and are these long tubes or shorties?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome, you solved the problem! I couldn't read my own writting so I crossed two of the spark plug wires. I swapped them back it runs like a champ. One thing I still question is that the plug on the distributor are off according to the diagram posted above. Instead of #1 starting at the front/driverside, it starts at the front pass side then goes in the correct direction...is this a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
It could also affect the positioning of your vacuum advance canister so it may prevent your from timing the engine where you want. The drawing doesn't show where the vac can is. I'd suggest you also double check your timing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts