Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

After 28 years, I'm finally getting back to a classic car. My first was a family owned, 71 Rally. Cranberry Red with Black interior... 307 and TH350 etc.

I was in the process of "building" it when I wrecked it when I was about 16 or 17. I had a small block 400 etc in it, hadn't gotten around to paint etc. But it was mine!

Years later, many years.... family, jobs etc I've been able to make a space in my life for another. I've bought a 71 "roller". I've not gotten it home yet, but the deal is done.

I'm reading over the posts and I'm stoked at the enthusiasm here! I'll be reaching out to you guys I'm sure. Thanks in advance! You guys clearly know your stuff!

Mac
Winston Salem NC

·
14,577 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. Post up some pictures of your car when you get a chance. Be sure and ask any questions you might have as someone is sure to have an answer for you.

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Welcome to the site, as mentioned we like pics and you'll find plenty of good help on the site.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who have responded! I have a couple that aren't good, I'll post one of those. I have to get off of here! There's soo much to read! Sheesh! The car is 145 miles away.... so it'll be a couple weeks before I get it home. I have looked all over for a couple of months. After all of the junk and overpriced cars... this APPEARS to be the best "starting" point I could find. Either way, I own it! So I'm dancing with the one I brought as they say!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally agree with '71 comment! So, I have a pic of the cowl tag. Looks like it is originally Mulsanne Blue.

Does anyone know what the very last few numbers mean? It looks like it says
"B 2 0218" any ideas?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
I totally agree with '71 comment! So, I have a pic of the cowl tag. Looks like it is originally Mulsanne Blue.

Does anyone know what the very last few numbers mean? It looks like it says
"B 2 0218" any ideas?
Off the top of my head, I know the B is Blue and from what I've figured it is a paint code for the dash color, and the 2 is the amount of exterior trim options chosen for the car. I'm not sure about the 0218 though.

I'm going bet the dash (steel) part is painted with a texture paint too, this is the reason 3rd gen have 2 interior color codes on the trim tag.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taz man I appreciate the info..... I guess I would need the VIN to know for certain the engine tranny combo, right?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! I agree with Andy; '71 is a good year. Good luck trying to figure out the cowl tag; it's full of mystery.

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Taz man I appreciate the info..... I guess I would need the VIN to know for certain the engine tranny combo, right?
Unfortunately it wasn't until 72 that there was any engine designation in the VIN. You will need the build sheet to know what the original drivetrain was. The VIN will tell you 6 or V8, but not CID, tranny or rear end type.

Here's a great link that will help decode your Nova.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone, thanks for the thoughts and info. So, even though the car isn't here yet, I've been daydreaming a bit. All I really want at this point, is get it moving safely down the road.

However, I've ran across what I see as a very tempting situation. I have a lead on an '87- 350 'Vette engine... complete along with a 700r4... both rebuilt within the past 2000 miles. Aluminum heads, 30lb injectors, and bored .040 over. I can hear it run. Guy will pull it for me, included everything from the trans to the fans, oil pan to top of the TPI and any/all associated ECM and wiring. I think this entire setup can be had for $1200.00. Around my area, that's a pretty strong deal.

Back in the day when I had my first Nova I was driving in 87 and thought then that one of those TPI engines would be a cool swap... well many years down the road, it has been done many many times I know. As cool as a very late model setup like an LS type thing is, I can't go that route....but this is doable.

Other than that, I'm thinking to get up and going, there's tons of 350's and TH350's around that I could do with a carb setup pretty inexpensively....but even that gets close to what I'd invest this TPI deal. I guess I could even go carb setup on the TPI engine if I wanted to go low tech on it.

Any thoughts from you guys is appreciated. As I said before, All I'm after at this point, is get it moving under its own power, HOPEFULLY before Summer is over.

Plan is to have the car home in about 2 weeks.

Also, the seller of the car mentioned it has a "Big 10" rear..... any info on this would be great... see I've been out of this forever! Says it has 456 gears in it as well.... so I was thinking 700r4 would be the route to go on that....

Ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Mac

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
If you want decent power that TPI will be a great buy at $1200 installed. The only thing with the TPI from what I have been told is they are limited with how much power they can make and they can be pricey to get more power. I owned a couple IROC-Z and they were a lot of fun in stock trim, so if you are looking for something streetable, it should be ideal IMO. lol

I'm not sure what a big 10 rear end is though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taz,
I've had a couple IROC's too. Hard to beat overall.... I too have read that getting big power can be pricey, but that's not really what I'm after at this point, but good strong, fun and streetable power.

As for the big ten rear, best I can tell is there was an 8.25 ring gear and and 8.5 ring gear...so, I'm thinking this is what folks mean by this, as I've seen it on several other sites.

In your signature, it says you have 3- 69's.... as in three Nova's?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RatNova,

Thanks for confirming..... according to the cowl tag, it was built in the third week of December, 71.

Any chance it came with a posi rear? I don't have it home yet.... so I can't check.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Point well taken.... the owner never got around to sticking a motor or trans in it, instead switching focus to another project.... we'll see.

Did you happen to see my post earlier about my line on an 87 TPI vette engine?
1987 CORVETTE 350 TPI ENGINE BORED .040, ALUMINUM HEADS, PORTED INTAKE/PLENUM/RUNNERS, 30LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM CHIP and a 700r4 as well? $1200...

Thinking about going that way.... if not... I'm just going to try to find the simplest and easiest route to get it going down the road before summer ends. we'll see.

·
Registered
20,077 Posts
After all of the junk and overpriced cars... this APPEARS to be the best "starting" point I could find. Ei
Congrats on your purchase and yes I see a lot of overpriced ones out there.

I saw one I should have checked on and it was in the body shop with new quarters, new interior, new engine and tranny. It was in primer and the guy ran out of money. It was on Craigslist for $6000. I should have checked on it, but I am holding out for an unmolested one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts