Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I’m trying to buy a set of 15” rims 3 towns away. Does anyone know if codes stamped into rims (next to valve stem) relate to back spacing ?
Front rims 15”x6” stamped K-1-9 9 9 YS and Back are
15”x7” stamped K-1-3 8 31 FW.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duntov, thanks for reply. To avoid having to drive a few hours to I explained to seller how to measure the rims for back spacing.
Hey, I love those headers poking out behind the shock towers!
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2smoke, thx for sending the link for back spacing codes. Yup, you can trust the chart for the codes I inquired about. The seller just confirmed the 15x6 are 3.5 and 15x7 are 4.25. You gotta love it when fellow members post stuff that confirm accuracies.
Thank you

·
Registered
344 Posts
On a chevy rally wheel the K-1-9 stamping is a date code ...1969 rims. But I think that's a stamping between the lug holes. Don't know if Chevrolet used the stampings on all steel rims back then. 15 inch is always safe....had some 14" rally wheels for my camaro that didn't fit. Wasn't aware that 14" don't fit front disc brakes:(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i have ralleys on over disc brakes in the front. an the size is 14 x 6'' on a 205 70 14. an thats with a 4 3/8 BS an the code is YW.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
an i'm pretty sure they came off a camero 1969

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's weird. Couldn't get the 14" over the caliper up front. Guess that goes for the Z28 only ,which was 15" from factory. Maybe because of bigger discs.
Thanks for correcting! Should be fine either way on the Nova then!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
makes me wonder if there is a disk ralley an drum ralley in the 14'' size.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed 14x6 w 4.25 bs Camaro rally rims on TCI front clip with disk brakes. I liked the look of the Camaro rim but the rim was slightly touching the caliper. So I switched out to a 15x7 w 3.5” bs and clearance was better than 3/4 “ from the caliper. Guess it’s 15’s for me. Now the question is, which 15” tire is best suited to prevent front fender rub? Opinions welcomed.
Thanks again to everyone for sharing, including NovaThug Joe B.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Error correction, that’s 15x6 w 3.5 bs Camaro Rally Rims on the front not 15x7 as I previously stated. Sorry, way too may number combo’s. I’m learning how bs plays a key role with what fits what lol

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
With 15x7 rally wheels you should not have any fender clearance issues unless you’re going to run some really big tires. The way TCI has set up their clips they will allow for larger wheel/tire combinations. The frame rails are moved inboard and the axle line is moved back towards the fire wall about 3/4” as compared to the factory setup. The only interference I have encountered with this clip is the tires rub the inner fender on the rearward side at full lock. You can put steering limiters in if you feel it will be necessary..
This may not be an issue for you with stock height spindles where mine are 2” drop spindles..

Pictured are stock height Mustang II spindles notice that the spindle/axle is low near the lower ball joint. A 2” drop spindle moves the axle up 2” away from the lower ball joint. The ball joints and steering arms remain in the same orientation to each other only the location of the wheel moves up thereby lowering the ride height and leaving the original suspension geometry unchanged.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts