Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a checkered racing back half? I've read about a few front clips, and actually have one myself but I know they offer back halfs with ladder bars and also a 4 link. I'm wanting to tub and there seems to be a million ways to go. How about CE welded frame kit? Best I can figure it's about 6" too short to reach the rear of the car. I've also considered the form fit rails from S&W or CE. It just seems impossible to "neatly" cut out your old rails and leave the floorboard in tact. Help! I need input. Thanks. C

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
why do you want leave the stock floor intact ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would really like to save the back seat if possible. If I used the formed frame rails I thought about taking everything out behind the back seat including trunk sheet metal and rails. The car already has frame connectors in it that run through the back floor pans. I really can't see how to remove that front section of frame rail from the bottom of the car without damaging it. I guess I could go ahead and cut it all(x-member back) out and still use the formed frame rails to retain back seat. Mainly I'm looking for some different ideas on how its been done. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
879 Posts
67deuce said:
Would really like to save the back seat if possible. If I used the formed frame rails I thought about taking everything out behind the back seat including trunk sheet metal and rails. The car already has frame connectors in it that run through the back floor pans. I really can't see how to remove that front section of frame rail from the bottom of the car without damaging it. I guess I could go ahead and cut it all(x-member back) out and still use the formed frame rails to retain back seat. Mainly I'm looking for some different ideas on how its been done. Thanks Guys.
I have the Checkered Racing 4 link rear clip. I have to say it is a really nice piece. With that said the only negative things are that the kit did not come with the metal plate that will be needed to weld the front cross member (with driveshaft loop) to the rocker panel (where the stock rear frame welded to). I also ordered the 8 point cage (also did not come with the plates to weld to the floor)and have started cutting out the old frame. Unfortunately I dont think there is anyway to salvage the rear seat without heavily modifying it to work around the huge tubs, and cage. Patrick over at Checkered did mention that they have a 4 bar kit that allows you to save the back seat however I dont believe it will allow for the huge tires like I am running: 29x18 mickey thompsons. If you just cut out the cross memeber and run the stock rails..all you are left with is a mini tub and at the max 12 inch tires (still wide..but not pro-street wide).

Here is a link to the Checkered Racing 4 Bar:

http://www.checkeredracing.com/4Link4Bar.html

I have pictures of my Checkered Racing 4-link clip here:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/adidasink/4-Link%20Back%20Half/

I also think I know what is going through your head. Do I hack my car apart or do I just do a simple mini-tub job. So far in doing the complete back half job...it really isnt that bad at all....I had it worked out in my head that since I have never done a back half myself that it would be next to impossible...but now that I am knee deep in it it really isnt so bad at all...in fact I think the mini-tub job would have been just as difficult if not worse!

If you have any questions on the Checkered Racing 4-link clip let me know and i would be happy to talk to you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Adidasink good pics man. Keep it coming. I'm also after the new sportsman's. Anyone else have some info to share ? Thanks in advance. C.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Check out my post under Drivetrain and Performance. I just did a rear frame and 6 point bar. Used C/E frame rails and crossmember and an S&W roll bar. Also did mini tubs. Came out great. Dave

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
adidasink,

I did the same type of project on my 72 Vega in a single car garage about 18 years ago. What a PITA. Good luck, looking good!

Denis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts