Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a B&M quicksilver auto. shifter for my 74 nova,T.H. 350 trans. The shifter mechanism is to be bolted to the floor sheet metal with 4-1/4'' bolts & nuts. A quick look under the nova has me wondering if I can reach into the space between the top of the transmission & bottom of of the floor sheetmetal to install the nuts. I have a bench seat so i can't move the shifter rearward for more access. Anybody have any experience with this installation with similar shifters? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
It'll be a tight fit but you should be able to get in there. All you need to do is get a wrench on the nut from the bottom and hold it while you have someone tighten it from inside the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A set of decent self-tapping sheetmetal style screws will work as well. Just keep the pilot hole as small as possible (to acquire MAX thread engagement) and use the largest diameter (preferably stainless steel) screw possible for the given mounting through hole size. ;)

It's worked in my daily driver truck for the last 15 years! :)

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
no7va4nut said:
I recently purchased a B&M quicksilver auto. shifter for my 74 nova,T.H. 350 trans. The shifter mechanism is to be bolted to the floor sheet metal with 4-1/4'' bolts & nuts. A quick look under the nova has me wondering if I can reach into the space between the top of the transmission & bottom of of the floor sheetmetal to install the nuts. I have a bench seat so i can't move the shifter rearward for more access. Anybody have any experience with this installation with similar shifters? Thanks
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/7xnova/Shifter2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/7xnova/Shifter1.jpg

No problem accessing the hardware from underneath. Tray and stay away from the floor braces, drill a pilot hole first to see where you hit. You might have to use some longer bolts so have them handy. You will love that shifter!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Maxturbo said:
A set of decent self-tapping sheetmetal style screws will work as well. Just keep the pilot hole as small as possible (to acquire MAX thread engagement) and use the largest diameter (preferably stainless steel) screw possible for the given mounting through hole size. ;)

It's worked in my daily driver truck for the last 15 years! :)
That's how I mounted mine. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Max, 2slow & novator,
Thanks for the info and the pics. I will be putting it in soon. I'll let you know how it goes or I may contact you for more advice. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
If you do decide to use the bolt and nut method,try taping the nut to the wrench.Do not put too much tape on.When you get the bolt tight just pull the wrench off.Also maybe use lock tight on the threads and or teflon nuts.Then you don't have to worry about them backing off.
Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts