Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the specs on axle shafts for a 10 bolt vs a 12 bolt. More importantly i was wondering if anyone knew if the axle bearing seat size is the same for both. What im trying to do here is build an 8.5 10 bolt but with 30 spline axles (thanks to the posi unit i got a hold of for the 30 splines). Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Most of the 39 spline carriers came out of trucks and were the Gov lock / tick-tock locker type. Tick-tock time bomb. Is yours a clutch style or the locker type?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Does anyone have the specs on axle shafts for a 10 bolt vs a 12 bolt. More importantly i was wondering if anyone knew if the axle bearing seat size is the same for both. What im trying to do here is build an 8.5 10 bolt but with 30 spline axles (thanks to the posi unit i got a hold of for the 30 splines). Any help is appreciated
yes the axle bearing is the same for a 10 bolt passenger and a 12 bolt passenger car...

I built what you have described... 1972 8.5 housing, a 8.5 Detroit Trutrac 30 spline carrier, 1969 camaro 12 bolt 'c' clip axles... I also installed a set of Moser 'c' clip eliminators at the same time....

the 30 spline carrier takes a adapter bearing to fit the housing.....

contact Miles on this site... his user name is JBimmolate

He will help ya out... with any of the stuff ya need....

heres his profile

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/member.php?u=2524

·
4,542 Posts
Haha thanks veno, yes it will need the conversion bearing & race for the carrier to work. Bearing number LM102949 and race LM102911 (timken numbers). 8.5 10 bolts & 12 bolt car axles all have the same bearing diameter (if they are c-clip style).

Miles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks a lot guys. Also i just talked to my engine guy and he said the 12 bolt carrier will fit into the 8.5 housing no problem. Is there any truth to this? Veno, how do u like the true trac style posi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts