Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an axle that has been worn about .050" at the bearing mating surface. Can this be welded and turned on a lathe? It's a Moser for a narrowed 12 bolt. I hate to buy one if it can be fixed.

·
4,534 Posts
No you can't weld it like that. It would overheat the axle at that point and it would become brittle. Could be a nasty accident if that happened. Just spend the $ and do it right.

Miles:D

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
novaken said:
Check and see if you can find an axle saver bearing for the rear. I know they are available for regular GM models. We sell em at NAPA.
Do you have the part number for the 12 bolt axle?

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
A word of wisdom about axle savers. They are an all in one unit, they are somewhat expensive, and they will start leaking in a short time. They will buy you some time, but don't count on them as a long-term fix. I have one on my Nova that started leaking within a year or so. Oily brakes don't work very well.;)

Randy (should've done it right the first time!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
66nogo2 said:
Do you have the part number for the 12 bolt axle?
Not off hand, but call your local NAPA. They should be able to help you. Also, a buddy of mine may have an extra one. He bought it and lost the box so he couldnt return it. If you are interested, I can check. PM me if you need me to look up the part # or to see how much he wants for the new one he has.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
72GreenRally said:
A word of wisdom about axle savers. They are an all in one unit, they are somewhat expensive, and they will start leaking in a short time. They will buy you some time, but don't count on them as a long-term fix. I have one on my Nova that started leaking within a year or so. Oily brakes don't work very well.;)

Randy (should've done it right the first time!):rolleyes:
Same design as a ford nine inch axle bearing:confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a "repair bearing" at Advance Auto Parts today. Made by Federal-Mogul, the part # is S-RP 5707. It cost about $28. It's twice as wide as the stock bearing and moves the rollers farther out to fresh metal. Even though it costs more, the grease seal is made into it which helps offset the cost.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts