Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 66/67 stick rear end,are the axles the same length for left and right? Basically Im building a shortened rear end for my mini tubbed car and need to know if the pinion is centered or if its offset?

Also what bearing type is the best to go with,small bearing,large sealed bearing,large tapered bearing etc? Street car,mono leaf,turbo motor,detroit locker are the specs if needed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axle's are the same length.

as far as bearings go, are you doing a C-clip eliminator?
Im either using a 12 bolt center section I have and having it retubed with 9" ends or just buy a new 9" made to my specs from Currie or whoever.

Im thinking new custom built 9" from Currie with 35 spline axles,mono leaf pads,tapered roller bearings,Strange nodular big case,detroit locker and maybe fabbing up some Caddy calipers with parking brake..

Any ideas or input on that combo?

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Im either using a 12 bolt center section I have and having it retubed with 9" ends or just buy a new 9" made to my specs from Currie or whoever.

Im thinking new custom built 9" from Currie with 35 spline axles,mono leaf pads,tapered roller bearings,Strange nodular big case,detroit locker and maybe fabbing up some Caddy calipers with parking brake..

Any ideas or input on that combo?
Don't use the Caddy brakes. They are pretty much boat anchors. If you want a budget brake kit use the Ford Explorer kit. It bolts right on a late big bearing Ford housing. It sells for about $400 and has a park brake that actually works. If you use the 35 spline axe I think you will have to run a detroit locker. They work on the street but they are noisy.

Tim

·
Vendor
4,058 Posts
I'm pushing my way to the front it's a big crowd:D It's good to see you around again!

I have the big olds bearing on my set up. I also have a comp. engineering chromoly fabbed rear end that is using the strange center section, with this center I was able to reuse my 12 bolt spool and gears. Infact I was able to use the axles that I already had too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't use the Caddy brakes. They are pretty much boat anchors. If you want a budget brake kit use the Ford Explorer kit. It bolts right on a late big bearing Ford housing. It sells for about $400 and has a park brake that actually works. If you use the 35 spline axe I think you will have to run a detroit locker. They work on the street but they are noisy.

Tim

The explorer kit was one of my first choices,so was the Wilwood kit.Then i started reading about the caddy calipers etc.I saw a pic of the caddy calipers and it does seem they look bulky.

What about the Wilwood kit? Im assuming the explorer stuf works just as well as the wilwoods but dont have the bling factor.Ive got the Wilwoods on the front clip but dont really need them on the rear.

Does detroit have a soft locker in 35 spline? Maybe a regular posi would be better

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pushing my way to the front it's a big crowd:D It's good to see you around again!

I have the big olds bearing on my set up. I also have a comp. engineering chromoly fabbed rear end that is using the strange center section, with this center I was able to reuse my 12 bolt spool and gears. Infact I was able to use the axles that I already had too.

Chuck,always a pleasure to talk to you on the forum here! Im trying to get back into the Nova deal but after my accident my body is not what it used to be! lol Making it hard to work on the car some days.

I still have the parts from you and plan to use them on my 66 wagon when the time comes.Hopefully very soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts