Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side axel moves forward and backwards sliding on the leaf spring. How do i fix this? What pictures do you need to look this over and get an idea of what's wrong?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Multi-leaf or factory mono leaf??

Multi leaf (and aftermarket split mono) has a bolt theought the center of the leaf stack, head of that bolt fits into a hole on the rubber isolation pad, the pad had a bump out where the bolt head is that fits into the center hole on the axle housing spring perch.....that is what locates the spring. If the thru bolt breaks the head off, the axle housing can slide for and aft.

Factory mono-leaf had a large bump builtinto the spring to servethe same locator function.

To examne and fix you need to pull the shock off the lower mount, the axle housing U-bolts and lower spring mount plate off and lift the axle housing up off the spring to view the center pin.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Can you also post some photos that are similar in view to the one shown below. I know your set-up may not look like this, but I wanted to see if anything stood out.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Something is loose, worn out, or broken. You should investigate the hardware further. Probably best not to drive it till the cause is determined and a solution to repair it has been executed..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for not replying, I didn't get an email stating I had answers... I have been REALLY busy at work, dropping an average of 100 hrs a week. I should have came here and looked.

We decided to buy new leafs and hardware for the rear suspension.

Thank you all for helping!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts