Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I finally brought my nova out of winter storage and to my new home, and in the move I have lost my set of keys for the car. Well, I had a spare ignition key, so no problem driving the car, and since I keyed the doors the same, no problem locking the car, BUT.......I do not have a key for the trunk, and that is where my fuel cell is. I only have a 1/4 tank of gas, and not sure if it will make it far from home.

So other than having a locksmith come to my house, what options do I have? the trunk lid is in great shape and don't want to pop the lock and damage the trunk lid.

please help! :( :mad: :(

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
can ya take out the back seat and climb in through the back with a screwdriver ???

i'm a big fat guy... doubt i'd fit... but a kid ;)

hey you !!! get inna trunk !!! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dice, I am not small by any means, and the third gens have a big brace welded in behind the seat, but maybe if I take it out and by a really, really, really long screw driver.........where the heck do you buy a screw driver that is three feet long?

Oh shoot, I forgot, the fuel cell will block rear access to the trunk latch too I think :confused:

sob!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
mines a 64, so i'm unaware of the configuration of yers... i just checked Brickyard's rear seat removal album but didn't see the opening/brace... so that's of no help to us...

i know lookin' at my car, if yers is close, i bet my Daughter could climb in there... not tryin' ta make a funny... but maybe a 10yr old could fit.

take a good look and see if a neighbor kid could help ya out... other than that i'm thinkin' it's the locksmith or a drillbit in the lock... drill out the tumblers. but man, i'd hate ta see ya lose yer lock.

hope i'm helpin' ya and i wish ya the best Bill.

John

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Where's your fuel pump? Got a return line? Can you pump fuel back up the supply line?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike Goble said:
Where's your fuel pump? Got a return line? Can you pump fuel back up the supply line?
That is not a bad idea, but the pump is in the trunk :(

BUT! Since Johnnyrotten suggested trying to get to the backsite of the latch, I figured I would see if my fuel cell sat low enough for me to gain access. WTF is that covering the latch? Aw crap, some dillhole added an electric opener so I can not access it. Hmmmm.....it looks like the wire was not cut, so maybe the guy actually completed the install. Hmmmm, where is the switch, I look and look and can not find it. Well, maybe I can hook a battery up to it, better find the wire first. Ah, hidden across the rear seat bottom, going up the passengers side carpet, up under the dash, shoot, there are three other black wires up there, well, I guess I can trace it if I am carefull.......hey, what the heck is that, a switch hidden behind the gauges! Push it...click. Cool, I go out to lift the trunk lid. Hmm....doesn't open. Try it again...click.....it still doesn't open. I try it again, and again, and again....thunk! The trunk lid opens! Wohoo!!!!!

bill (owes Johhnynotsorotten a BIG favor!)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Bill,
You seem to have all the fun!! Kind of like the day at the yard trying to get that dash pad out of the Nova that had been sitting in the water. That car was NASTY to be inside of!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NovaSS396L34 said:
Bill,
You seem to have all the fun!! Kind of like the day at the yard trying to get that dash pad out of the Nova that had been sitting in the water. That car was NASTY to be inside of!!
I actually was a little affraid to breath while in that car, I would move and all kinds of stuff would float up, mold and dust and who knows what else!

I still have that dash pad and it will go in the 71, thanks to you!:D

bill (didn't forget how you helped get the passengers side screw out!)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Bill,
Simple to fix. Trunk uses same key as glove box. Take out your glove box lock. It will have a key code on the side. Any GM dealer can look up the code. Cut you a key to match. Earl

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MNYenko said:
Bill,
Simple to fix. Trunk uses same key as glove box. Take out your glove box lock. It will have a key code on the side. Any GM dealer can look up the code. Cut you a key to match. Earl
Not so easy, my glovebox does not open, that is a later project. The lock on the glovebox just turns and turns and turns freely.

I am going to replace the trunk lock and bring it into a dealership and have it keyed the same as the ignition, and if I can ever get the glovebox open, I will do the same there. Slowly but surely I will get the bugs out.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
another fix

Ok, sounds like its not too bad, you say your glove box spins? its just the cap is lose, if you put a flat head screwdriver in the key slot and turn the inner portion it should open. Unless its in the locked postion. then you will have to try to pick it open (not hard). if you get this far,then with the door open you can maybe get to the inner lock and retrive the key code stamped on the inner lock body. Thats if the trunk or the glove box lock have never been changed, good luck!!!
PS, Im a locksmith :D

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Puke Green 71 said:
Ok, sounds like its not too bad, you say your glove box spins? its just the cap is lose, if you put a flat head screwdriver in the key slot and turn the inner portion it should open. Unless its in the locked postion. then you will have to try to pick it open (not hard). if you get this far,then with the door open you can maybe get to the inner lock and retrive the key code stamped on the inner lock body. Thats if the trunk or the glove box lock have never been changed, good luck!!!
PS, Im a locksmith :D
Thank you! The screw driver worked! Now I need to try and see if I can retrieve the code.

Man I love this board!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Use a mop handle and duct tape a flat tip screwdriver to it. You should be able to remove the rear seat and with a flashlight guide it into the lock mechanism. We had to do that to my 72 once we shaved the doors & trunk lock.

-Phil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts