Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wait a minute I didn’t get to finish message above, accidentally hit Post Reply, I tried to start the car and all it would do was turn over. With assistance from my wife at the ignition I got the voltage meter out and no longer had 12 V switched ignition. So that is why I started this project. I know this is a long read but i’m by myself on this car and have no where to turn for help so I thought of Steve Nova site that I joined back in 2019. It’s all been overwhelming so just right now I will go back through and get all my questions answered and hopefully somebody can help.

Thanks to Custom Jim, Bob’s 65 Post and others who replied. I guess when I originally started this message I didn’t have all my information at hand. I’ll try to do better and thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am back, I have attached images. These are the items I was going to use, but I have some members questioning the quality of the components. I have a 70 Nova and have ran out of switched circuits on the car. All I have is a 20 amp fan installed, a Summit CD box, and the switched power for the Holley sniper. I also wanted to put my Holley Hyper Spark distributor on this panel. I am in need of help. I can't spend much more than I have already. Everything was working until my goof in Post # 20 above. I have instructions from Holley on the fan wiring but the fan wiring instructions required a 30 amp Circuit Breaker which I was using.

I appreciate the excellent advice I was receiving without knowing what I had to work with.
Finger Engineering Electronics accessory Electric blue
Font Handwriting Diagram Machine Design
Hand Finger Rectangle Gadget Thumb
Font Parallel Schematic Event Paper
Font Material property Parallel Illustration Drawing
Typewriter Motor vehicle Office equipment Gas Electronic device
Hood Electrical wiring Circuit component Hardware programmer Cable
Tool Electrical wiring Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Gas

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
212 Posts
I’m sure we could help you figure out your issues, but I’m a little bit lost with what issues you are currently experiencing.
-You tried to start your car before everything was wired up? It cranked the first time and tried to turn over, but then wouldn’t after that.
-You are wondering about where the wires on your relay sub bases go to?
-You no longer have switched 12v ignition power when cranking? Where are you taking your reading? Where do you need it?
If you could clarify that stuff it might help. I went back through this thread multiple times and it seems like you have several things going on at once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I’m sure we could help you figure out your issues, but I’m a little bit lost with what issues you are currently experiencing.
-You tried to start your car before everything was wired up? I had the car wired exactly as before the wreck It cranked the first time and tried to turn over, but then wouldn’t after that.
-You are wondering about where the wires on your relay sub bases go to? I am not sure if I will use this now, I did not need a relay panel before the wreck. i only used two relays one for fan and one for a clean voltage for the Holley sniper
-You no longer have switched 12v ignition power when cranking? Correct, after the purple wire issue I seem to have lost the switched 12v going to distributor. Where are you taking your reading? I do have 12v switched on the factory fuse block under driver side dash. Where do you need it? I had switched power for Holley Hyper Spark distributor, Summit CD box (these two shared the same white wire that when to original distributor), I had the electric fan and Holley Sniper on relays. this was the original setup I had and it worked great!
If you could clarify that stuff it might help. I went back through this thread multiple times and it seems like you have several things going on at once.
I hope I can explain this correctly for you.

Thanks, I should start at the beginning then; I installed the engine and it was restarted with everything running perfect. The first question I have is, what "Could" happen IF (it did) the purple starter wire came off the starter solenoid and came into contact with the heavy 0 gauge battery wire?

What did happen was starter engaged into flex plate while running, the ignition would not turn the car off after this so I had to wheel back to the battery and disconnect the Pos. battery cable. After that I no longer could find my switched 12 volt power. I tried looking for a fusible link blown, not luck. No blown fuses anywhere, that's when a friend who couldn't actually physically help me but suggested I build a relay panel and put everything on relays.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
212 Posts
Is the purple wire on the starter for the solenoid and the big gauge is obviously for main power? Unless the starter was cranking at the time(which how could it because the solenoid wire was disconnected ) and drawing serious amps I doubt it would do anything. You would make “hot” anything that is in the starter solenoid switched circuit, which wouldn’t necessarily cause any issues? When I get a chance I’ll try to look at my wiring diagrams and see. Maybe a wire burned up and the circuit is open somewhere now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Is the purple wire on the starter for the solenoid and the big gauge is obviously for main power? Unless the starter was cranking at the time(which how could it because the solenoid wire was disconnected and drawing serious amps I doubt it would do anything. You would make “hot” anything that is in the starter solenoid switched circuit, which wouldn’t necessarily cause any issues? When I get a chance I’ll try to look at my wiring diagrams and see. Maybe a wire burned up and the circuit is open somewhere now?
I always solder and heat shrink my connections, however on this particular for a brief instance I had snipped the purple wire and installed a spade connector to install a mini starter. Of course, the moment I snipped this off of a brand-new Classic Industries harness I had regrets. I did not keep the mini starter; I purchased an OEM high torque starter and installed it, and things were great again. I started the car a few days later after idling for a few minutes the butt connector apparently was not cripped enough and that's when the purple wire came out of the connector and engaged the starter. If I had only soldered and heat shrank the wire, I wouldn't be in the mess I am in at this time. I appreciate any and all the help I receive on this awesome site Steve has created.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would look for a name brand setup and not some cheapaneasium ebay stuff.

Doing electrical will require some research and any fuses you put in are to protect the wire past it and the wire gauge needs to be of sufficient size to support the load. In other words you cannot use 20 gauge wire on a 30A circuit as this is not safe but the opposite costs more money (using a 10 gauge wire when a 20 gauge is plenty.

Your relays too also need to be sized properly.

With all the stuff out there on informational video's, look and watch as much as you can.

Do some searches here on this site and see what turns up.

You are not the first wanting to do this nor will you be the last.

You just want things safe and reliable.

Jim
Hi Jim,

You sound like you have knowledge that can possibly help me. I respect all who respond but I was wondering if you could take a look at my attempts to explain this damn wiring problem I have. One other member noticed my post and responded to me. I did add additional pictures and I don't need all the relays shown in my pictures (six in a pack). One for fan one for one for Holley Sniper 12v switched and an extra for something down the road. Anyway, thanks for your input!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts