Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 SS with shot rear frame rails & trunk, so it all needs to be replaced.
My plan is under construction but I am looking at aftermarket rear suspension & mini tub (295 tire).
The Autoweld frame rails look to be a stronger solution to the stock rail, since I have to replace them.
With the DSE tub and the notching of the frame rail, has anyone tried the parallel rail Autoweld offers?
Will they install without notching the rail & keep the stock trunk pan?
Though they may be a better fit then the "profile" rail. Been searching but have not found a specific answer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know how the stock rails fit, but I can tell you that their parts are top notch quality. The bends have no distortion or wrinkling.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
If you run the rails parallel they will interfere with the trunk pan.. I have the Competition Engineering rails and if I were to run them parallel they would do the same.. You can try to sneak them past the trunk if you sister the new rails in behind the factory rails. That’s how I’m doing mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could drop an original style trunk pan in there.
According to DSE and some old Super Chevy articles I've read, mini tubs fit without having to notch the frame rail. So if your'e going to use Auto Weld Nova frame rails in place of the original uni-body rails you're good. Unless of course the Auto Weld rails are thicker? I would find out how wide they are and compare to the original width just to be certain.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
They will be 2x3 the factory sub rails are closer to 1.5 inch wide. If you totally eliminate the factory subrails in favor of the Autoweld rails you might be able to maintain the trunk pan. The factory sub rails are 36 inch’s apart at the rear seat pan area and they are 41” at the rear tail panel.. I not sure on the width of the trunk pan off hand but it could be around 36” which might allow you to run parallel rails through there with little to no interference..

This image is from Anchor’s build thread.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178720

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies & picture.
I think it is worth a trial & fit up, see where the rails end up.
I should talk to the vender of the suspension as well.
I will post the results...lots of work ahead!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The underside pictured above belongs to Anchor and it is from his build thread here on SNS. His rear rails are stock with TCI torque arm hardware in place..

I’m in the process of building a full bolt-in chassis that allows the factory floor to remain intact. The Competition Engineering rails are what I’m working with to follow the floor/trunk area. I have made some modifications to the rails to accommodate the fitment and attachment requirements.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts