Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input on trans cooling. I will be running a 700r4 on a street driven weekend warrior. Is the typical radiator cooling sufficient or would it be advisable to run an external cooler up front. Additionally is the need for a cooling fan required on the external cooler. I would use discretion running the car on 100 deg. plus days. I'm just concerned with limited space between the radiator and grill. How do the coolers with heat sink fins perform? Is a cooler with air flow through tubes better.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
I run a stand alone B&M stacked plate trans cooler (on a 2004R Trans with 2800 stall converter). I have read that the stacked plate coolers are more efficient then the tub & fin design.

I never liked the idea of having a trans cooler line that was also connected to an internal radiator cooler... due to the problems that would occur if the trans line within the radiator was to ever develop a leak.

I do not have a trans fluid temp gauge, so I just installed the largest B&M trans cooler that was available (B&M 70274). I have never had a problem.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274

If you decide to go with a stacked plate cooler and want to save some money, B&M Super Coolers are reboxed Long Tru Cool coolers (both brands are made by Dana Corporation in Mexico). Tru Cool coolers are 40-50% cheaper and are lifetime warranty. B&M one year warranty (Credit to ism deuce for Long Tru Cooler info :thumbsup:).
I also found a Tru-Cool H7B Trans Cooler at Amazon for a lot less $$$ than a similar B&M trans cooler.
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-H7B-.../dp/B003TQ3BG2
The Tru-Cool H7B cooler looks exactly like my B&M 70274 cooler.

Whatever cooler you decide to go with, be sure to mount the cooler in an area with good air flow.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I used a Derale unit that mounts under the car with a fan on it. I didn't run the transmission lines to the front. So far I have around 5,000 miles on it with no problems including three trips to Cruising the Coast which has the most traffic I've ever put a car in. It is literally car to car for miles. Transmission fluid still smells fresh. I do not have a transmission temperature gauge. I have no plans to do anything different with my next build.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I, too ran a Derale cooler with a built-in fan. My transmission builder advised against using the cooler in the radiator as they can fail.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Call me a rebel, but I'm running the cooling lines to the stock-type cooler in a heavy-duty radiator. I have a 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives with probably 30,000+ miles on it. California heat, driving to Las Vegas and Arizona in the heat of the summer with the air conditioning running, no problems.

I've thought about putting an external cooler on it, but I don't want another heat source in front of the A/C condenser and radiator.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a stand alone B&M stacked plate trans cooler (on a 2004R Trans with 2800 stall converter). I have read that the stacked plate coolers are more efficient then the tub & fin design.

I never liked the idea of having a trans cooler line that was also connected to an internal radiator cooler... due to the problems that would occur if the trans line within the radiator was to ever develop a leak.

I do not have a trans fluid temp gauge, so I just installed the largest B&M trans cooler that was available (B&M 70274). I have never had a problem.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274

If you decide to go with a stacked plate cooler and want to save some money, B&M Super Coolers are reboxed Long Tru Cool coolers (both brands are made by Dana Corporation in Mexico). Tru Cool coolers are 40-50% cheaper and are lifetime warranty. B&M one year warranty (Credit to ism deuce for Long Tru Cooler info :thumbsup:).
I also found a Tru-Cool H7B Trans Cooler at Amazon for a lot less $$$ than a similar B&M trans cooler.
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-H7B-.../dp/B003TQ3BG2
The Tru-Cool H7B cooler looks exactly like my B&M 70274 cooler.

Whatever cooler you decide to go with, be sure to mount the cooler in an area with good air flow.
I did happen to read an article not that long ago that actually mentioned the Tru-Cool H7B as being the best bang for the buck. With its stacked plates it was said to be very efficient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stacked plate coolers are more efficient than tube and fin style because they can dissipate heat faster more effectively. I mounted a 4 x 11 Derale cooler right behind the right side bumper opening so its not right in front of my radiator or blocking it, and also put it in line with the factory radiator internal trans cooler as the instructions stated to do. I believe this actually provides even better cooling of around 30 degrees but have not verified with a gauge personally, though I'm sure the radiator cooler can be completely bypassed. I bolted the coolers flange to a couple holes i drilled thru the bumper filler panel reinforcement. Its tucked up nicely behind the bumper with the lines coming up from underneath.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stacked plate are more efficient. Your cooler size requirement is primarily driven by a lot of factors, but converter stall is probably the biggest. I have a gauge on my car and the sending unit is located about 18" from the "out" line from the trans. I'm running a TH-400 MVB, 3500 stall with a transbrake backed by a 4.56 rear. I chose to run -6 PTFE lined braided AN lines from the trans, up and behind the inner fender exiting under the battery tray and over to a stacked plate that is bracket mounted up behind the grille in front of a 2 core be-cool radiator. The motor is an SHP blocked 421. The engine runs at 180-185 with a 180 thermostat. The trans runs about a constant 170 unless you are doing a LOT of stop and go then it sees about 180. It is a totally different story when you load the converter. Just launching off of the transbrake at say 2,500 rpm quickly off a 2 step the temp will go to 200-210, like right now.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
I used a Derale unit that mounts under the car with a fan on it. I didn't run the transmission lines to the front. So far I have around 5,000 miles on it with no problems including three trips to Cruising the Coast which has the most traffic I've ever put a car in. It is literally car to car for miles. Transmission fluid still smells fresh. I do not have a transmission temperature gauge. I have no plans to do anything different with my next build.
Not to hi jack ,but where did you mount your Derale on the underneath?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I mounted mine outside the frame rails kinda under the passenger side seat area. There is a nice flat spot for it. The unit comes with a temperature switch that is pretty simple to wire also. I ran #6 braided lines. I don't know how much you can tell from the picture. I don't have a good picture of just that area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts