Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '63 2-dr hardtop with a 700R4 behind the original 194 six. I've put a fair amount of work$$ into the 194 so I want to keep it but switch out the 700R4 for a 4 speed. I am planning on keeping the original bench seat. I have the GM Classics Kit parts list for this conversion as well as their Optional Parts list, but the 6-cyl conversion may have some special details that I'm not clear on. For instance I don't think the bell housing I'm using with my 700R4 will work? Are there any build threads that focus on the specifics of this conversion? Thanks - any help appreciated.
Mike
Mike
Nova at Tom's.jpg

Nova at Tom's1.jpg

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
You'll need a bellhousing with the 7-oclock clutch hole. The one on your 700R4 is integral to the tranny. You'll also need a longer driveshaft.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I give in to pressure from my friends and later swap the 194 for a small block will that bell housing still work? Thanks for the info Mike!

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Since your already driving with an overdrive why not consider a 5spd? Twinshadows put a 5 speed behind his 6 cylinder and is very happy with it. He has a 3rd Gen but the process is basically the same.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Mikies'63 . . . . . Hi there , can I ask - - what's your location ( city & state ? ) .

I think you should look at " members - onecarnut " . . . Lou's 68 Nova (with his 250 - 6 motor , very cool ) .
and, there's a few other 'cool' I - 6 engines .
Plus, You have a very Nice 63 . . . . . jim

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
more info : Mike , I also bought all my - change-over (pedals & clutch linkage parts from Chevy2Only ( GM Classics) , and each part was correct the 1st time out.
For my change-over . . I used all stock clutch linkage ( z-bar , clutch rods , new SBC flywheel - for 10" clutch disc , and stock clutch assembly) - - (but, I did use a different ' clutch disc ' too fit my 5 speed trans - - 14 spline input shaft ) .

Do A Search for : hbanger , , look for his post ( they all will show up : then, he talks about having too change his ' Flywheel ' - - read that info ) . hbanger uses a Muncie 4 speed in his 63 Nova Wagon .

Plus, I have all info about my change over (with some pictures - - but, mines a 3rd gen car ). FYI . . . my car is a stock ' Bench Seat ' car . . and, using the T 5 trans , that stock 'shifter' did work out very well - - clears both my bench seat & dash .

later , jim

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I had a PG in my 64 it now has a Muncie , but with a old school Hurst Inline shifter. But I had buckets seats to start with. But most shift arms/ Handles can be changed.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Hey Mikie . . . . .. I went over and found that post by : hbanger , clutch flywheel problem

you may not have this issue ( because , you have no ' 194 flywheel ' ) .

On my 69 . . . I bought a new flywheel from Summit - - - for a SBC ( same part - fits both SBC & Six cylinder motors ) - - also, SBC , BBC , and Chevy Six motors ( 194 , 230 , 250 )
all have the same rear bolt pattern (where the 'Bellhousings mounts ) . . . . .

You will need the bellhousing for a 1st & 2nd gen Nova ( for the 7 o'clock clutch Fork ) , as Mike Goble said. Then, make SURE that 'B H ' has the 4 - 11/16 " hole (that hole fits the 4 speeds trans .

Perfection Replacement Flywheel Part # 50 - 6516 ( 153 Tooth ) . it was $ 120.00

Then ; here is some very good info about ; The Borg / Warner T 5 5speed tranny . T5 Info Page

if you may be interested . Great Reading , anyway .

I was going too install a 4 speed, behind my six motor . . . . . . buy, another SNS member , (xten57) , suggested the T 5 trans w/ od .. . . . . . . . . jim

Thanks Bruce , it's working great ! ! !

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
The original 7 o'clock bell housing P/N is 3849309. They do pop up on eBay occasionally. Also, GMclassics.com has a kit P/N 17027. You'll also need a 153 teeth flywheel and cover that is compatible with whatever pressure plate and disk you'll be using. They have all the stuff you'll need except the pressure plate and disk which would be available elsewhere of your choice.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
again , Mike . . . . I'm asking 'This Question ? ' . . . . . . what kind of trans are you looking for - - 4 speed . . . which kind ? (you may already have one - - IDK ? ) .

The reason being ; a SNS member has a " new Muncie 4 speed Trans " - listed in the "Classifieds - - For Sale Section " right now , you may want too check - out .
" M22 Muncie Trans" by : hotrodguy (under 68-74 Nova Parts For Sale . and, I do-not know him , but sounds good price for a NEW Trans . . . . . . worth checking - out ……..
just FYI .
I have an older "Sagnaw 4-speed" (cast-iron case , with Hurst shifter) . . . . but, not for sale , .. .. .. .. .. .. jim

I'm not sure of u'r 'budget' , but your car is very nice . . . and, that Muncie should fit that theme . . . . . just thinking out-loud .

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Let me know if you received those " conversations " .

Mike , you can look on here (this is over in the ' 1st & 2nd Gen Section ' ) . . . . some info for installing a T 5 5speed into another 63 Nova .

look here : T5 swap into 63

and, have fun . . . . . . you Can - Not - Have too Much Info , later , jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts