Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...stock interior 1971 Nova with a bench front ....looking to put possibly a B&M Street Bandit shifter on the floor for my 3 speed turbo 350 trans....

what are some of the shifters you guys out there are running, Im thinking the shifter might be a little to low and far forward to be comfortable unless I fab a little riser or console of some sort...or maybe I can waterjet a new Handle that would come back up and over the seat, but then I couldnt use the Street Bandit because you have the lever to operate the reverse lockout/3rd gear , etc ....also ...My better half drives the car (tires smoking, half-sideways..she's a keeper...lol) and has to move the seat up a few notches so that further complicates the install...

wondering if anyone had some ideas or photos of their set-up with or without the bench front seat set-up ...thanks guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i researched a bunch of previous threads....it looks like it is quite a reach to any floor mounted shifter with a bench seat....I dont really want to have to lean 1 foot away from the seatback to manually hirt the 2-3 shift, but maybe I have no choice.....

·
Registered
748 Posts
I currently run a hurst quarter stick in my 69 with a bench seat. I made a mount thats about 3 3/4" high. Bolted it to the floor, then bolted my shifter to the mount. I then made some covers out of 1/8" sheet of aluminum. Drilled and tapped holes and put it together. It's not that hard. I don't have to lean foward at all to reach it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How tall are you? I'm 6'3" with my seat all the way back, I only need to lean forward when I shift into Park. Have you put the shifter in place to see where you're at yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah...Im much shorter at 5' 10" ...I think Im going to do a B & M Quicksilver ....I think I can fab up a trick raised housing (if needed)...I think its a good balance of function along with ease of use for when the better half takes the Nova out for a rip! The Street Bandit I was thinking of getting can get a bit confusing with... just hitting the lever for the 1-2 then squeezing the handle for the 2-3 then pushing forward then squeezing the handle for neutral, reverse, and park... cool with me but Im glad my GF is into the Old American Muscle..so I dont want to make her experience driving them any less desirable by a complicated shifter ( I know..Im sure she'd fig it out easy enough but...who needs to hear the "@#$*&" until she does...lol also with its super smaller/thin design...the reach would be even a bigger stretch and Im afraid it wouldn't be as solid of a mount as some of the other bigger based shifters (seems like an issue, albeit a small one, on other threads)

So we will see what happens..Ill be sure to throw up a few pics when I install it! Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I am planning to reuse my Hurst V-Matic with my bench conversion. I was simply going to locate the shifter in park and make sure I can get my hand in without banging my knuckles. maybe leave a spare inch. Then with the shifter all the way down in low, was going to locate my seat in its most forward position. No pics yet, haven't gotten that far.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had a hurst v-matic and loved it, i sold it because i fixed the stock floor shifter and linkage. I believe my car is orginal bench with a nonconsole shifter.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey nickydags e-mail me with your e-mail address at [email protected] I just took some pics of how I have my shifter mounted. I have not learned how to post them here, so i'll e-mail them to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts