Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mild 327 with 3.73 rear gears and a turbo 350 with a stage 2 shift kit in my 63. I want to go with a 700r4 or a 200r4 but don't know the best choice. I know the 200 is an easer swap because it is smaller, but is weaker and harder to find.

My motor plans are to drop in a stout 388 stroker pushing as much power as it can (no nos or blower/turbo), and I would like to drop my rear gears to 4.11's. I want to drive it some on the street, but not blow up wen I put the power to it.

Right now my 350 is plenty strong, but it winds high on the highway, I cant keep my speedo cable working (due to the tranny swap), and I would like a little more off the line.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the 200's are plenty strong, lots of the GN turbo guys use them. 200's don't have such a steep 1st gear like the 700's and can be built plenty strong. Only thing is the crossmember and the TV cable placment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hard is it to rebuild a 200? where do I get the parts and info on how do do that, as well as a good rebuildable 200? Or would it be best to buy a rebuilt one? Would a stock rebuild work or do I need an upgrade? if so what do I upgrade? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a good book to pick up on 200 rebuild? What parts do I need to look at keeping stock and what parts need upgraded? What about shift kits and lock up or non lock up converters and what stall for street/strip in my light nova. As you can tell I am not a tranny guy but want to learn about them. Send me in the correct direction.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Im going to run a 700r4 in my 62 but from what I hear the 2004r is a lot eaiser swap since you can use a T350 crossmember and I think the driveshaft. If it was me just buy a fully built 2004r dont buy and rebuild spend a couple grand and get a professinaly built 2004r. If you want to run a 700r4 you will need a new crossmember, drive shaft sortened with new yoke, and you may have to bang the trans tunnel out a little for it to fit, and many other things but it has great gearing so either trans is good :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts