Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1973, with a factory sky roof, and a 350. i dont know too much about the whole restoration process, but i want to make it a manual trans. i am taking the car apart right now. i am almost ready to pull the motor and trans, so i am trying to get my education for when i put the car back together. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and how easy or difficult it is? also if anyone knows anything about the sky roofs...i have the original mechanism, and also a used one, but neither was on the car when i purchased it, so i dont know too much about it. Thanks in advance for any help, and ill be sure to post a few pics of the car when i get home from work today. thanks

Rob
73 Nova

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Shifting Gears

The 4 speed will change the whole character of your car for the better I think! I converted mine a few years ago and have never looked back. I had a 350 THM and used a Saginaw 4 speed with 3 rings on the input shaft which gives me a low 1st gear (3:50). Here's a link for that information. http://www.teufert.net/trans/tranny.htm

It's not a real hard swap but it is a lot of little things. You'll need to change the pedals, add the Z-bar bracket to the frame, etc... but one of the most important things is fixing the column so that it thinks it is always in Park, that way you'll always be able to get your key out when you shut it off. There is one more very dangerous element with the column and that is if you ever shut the key off going down the road the steering wheel will lock where it is. A friend of mine had that happen to his Camaro while pushing it once and he ran over his foot and damaged the car. It happens pretty fast! The factory had the reverse lock-out rod to prevent that but it was in the way if you ran headers and it's also pretty hard to find the correct rod today. Just think it out and you'll be fine. You could always take the lock-plate out from under the steering wheel.
You'll love shifting your own gears.....I'd never go back!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Hi Rob:

I have a '72 Rally Nova with Skyroof option. This option was only available in '72 and '73.

The company that manufactured the roof was called Sunway, in Birmingham, England. It is not easy finding replacements, but if you look hard enough, they are out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts