Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 with a 396 and TH350. The Th 350 is lunched and am thinkin a 4spd would be great. I have a budget (wife) and have access to a muncie 4spd that is torn down from a friend. What all is involved here?? I am thinking some sort of kit with pedals etc, maybe hydraulics and a clutch? The motor is out right now so......any help would be great..:eek:

·
Registered
153 Posts
The conversion is usually pretty simple for the third Gen Novas, and there are a myriad of kits available these days. :yes:

On the first Nova I owned I did the exact swap you are talking about. The only difference, back then the aftermarket parts market consisted of the local wreaking yard and your own tools.:eek:

Classic Industries will have everything else you could possibly need to complete the conversion and most of the stuff is reasonably priced. The only reason I mention Classic Industries is because I used them recently to replace my 4spd pedal linkage, from frame and block mounts to zbar and throw out adjuster.

Good luck

James Y.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You can buy everythign new for the conversion. You need the pedals, pedal pads, the clutch linkage kit, a shifter and installation kit, a flywheel, clutch, bellhousing,throwout fork, and pilot bushing. Other than buying the parts, it's a direct bolt in. Even your TH350 driveshaft will work, just need to check on which yoke the Muncie uses.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I have a 71 with a 396 and TH350. The Th 350 is lunched and am thinkin a 4spd would be great. I have a budget (wife) and have access to a muncie 4spd that is torn down from a friend. What all is involved here?? I am thinking some sort of kit with pedals etc, maybe hydraulics and a clutch? The motor is out right now so......any help would be great..:eek:
If you are looking for options...why not consider replacing the TH350 with a well built TH400. The conversion is simpler than the 4 speed deal. You will need a different cross member, driveshaft and perhaps some linkage depending on headers, etc. You can install an electronic kickdown switch on the carb for passing gear...what rear gears are you running and how about some specs on the motor..??? You can set these TH400's up to operate like the hi-shift point trannys that came with L78's back in the day...they are a gas to drive:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can do it and it is more of a gas to drive than any auto IMHO.The conversion is simple. I think that the hyd. setup is even easier. If it aint got three pedals it aint worth drivin' :devil:

·
Registered
141 Posts
i too am looking to go from a th350 to a muncie in my 74. havent priced it all out yet but like the others have said theres plenty of kits out there with all the linkages. if you have a chance at a muncie id go for it. i personally would stick with a mechanical setup rather than hydraulic just for that old school feel. the new stick cars with the hydraulic setups aren't as much fun but just my opinion. keep us posted what you go with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas and support. I went online and printed off CI Catalogue and there are all the parts I need reasonable. I am thinking that this summer I'll beat the TH350 into it's final resting place and do the swap in the fall. Right now I am just cleaning up the bay and doing a quick motor freshenup.
The 396 is just that, no big huge power here. I put on a Performer intake and am changing cam to match and a set of headers.
The rear end is another story. 10 bolt non posi, with some extremely tall gears, I'll bet this car will break 140mph. there are plans to beef it up with an Eaton or Auburn (sp) unit. Just have to wait for the call to go collect my lottery winnings. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I converted my 79 Malibu over to a 4 speed.I used a Super t-10 form a Camaro.The bell housing and starter are from an 82 Vette.I used the Mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing.The only downfall so far is having to go out about every two weeks and pump the clutch up to keep the bearing sealed.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I guess expense is all relative to your own pocket book, but I ended up spending $400+ on my conversion. Your's sounds simpler so it may be cheaper. I also started with a '71 350/350 but went with a WC-T5 to get the overdrive. That meant I had to get a special bell housing cause the T5 from a Firebird was cocked to the side, and ended up with a Lakewood. Then I decided to replace the steering column to get rid of the shifter and make it look neater, so I went with a '73 (I think) Chevelle column from a floor shift car. So one thing led to another and then to another..........:bored:

Now that I have it I really like it, but it was more of a job and quite a bit more $$ than I thought it would be.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts