Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
it is a p.i.t.a. but it can done. first are you changing the ring and pinion or are you using the gears over again if so you will need to measure the back lash and set the gear back to the same back lash. you will need to press NEW bearings on the carrier. if you are changing the ring and pinion too you will need to press bearings onto the pinion as well and maybe even pull the bearing back off to change the shim on the head bearing to get the proper pinion depth. it will save you some trouble if you get the video from Richmond gear as i did it is very dry and shall we say mono tone but with the money you spend on the carrier the vid is cheep also i got a book from Randy's ring and pinion. i just put together an 8.5 to put in my 68 Detroit true track and 3.73 gears i got kinda good at putting the carrier in and out without pinching my fingers but its going to be fun when i get it in the car, and get it broke in.:devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I didn't think it was tough, I did it in a day. Just have some immovable object behind your car to hook a wench (or something similar) on, because the tough part is taking the diff out.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It was as simple as a phone call, to Reider racing :) Had them do the entire center section (ford 9") and mail it to me. Thats one of the reasons I went with a ford 9", have someone else do the gear mesh. Not to second guess you but why an auburn?? I have heard some ok stuff but also some bad stuff. I have one, but at the time there wasnt anything else available. JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts