Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bezel on the left is the old one & it has threads on it. The new one on the right doesn't. The old one just unscrewed. How do you get these on? These were the cheap ones. Do they have better ones? Ones with a better way to attach them? Thank You! Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Carcrazy! I'll see what happens tomorrow. It just seems like the little studs would break off! I got the 4 side lights mocked up in the house. Meaning I matched up the out of tolerance bezels with lights that were out of tolerance Lol... Check out the pic for there quality control. Thank goodness I had 4 units so I could match them up... Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thank You Carcrazy! I'll see what happens tomorrow. It just seems like the little studs would break off! I got the 4 side lights mocked up in the house. Meaning I matched up the out of tolerance bezels with lights that were out of tolerance Lol... Check out the pic for there quality control. Thank goodness I had 4 units so I could match them up... Bill
Speed nuts can be tricky. Make sure the nut start evenly and then apply light downward pressure as you turn them. Do not over tighten they strip easily.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Ditto what carcrazy615 and Zonie said about the speed nuts cutting their own threads on the studs.

As for the fitment issues between the lights & bezels, make sure you are fitting the front bezels to the front lights, and the rear bezels to the rear lights. The front & rear are slightly different (to match the curvature of the car's body) and that little squared index tang on one of the studs is positioned different to prevent them from getting mixed up.

Also be aware that 4th gens (75-79) use side marker lights that are very similar to the 70-74 ones. In fact, the rear ones will directly interchange. But the front ones are slightly different (again, due to the curvature of the body).

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
" Ones with a better way to attach them? Thank You! Bill "

Bill as said above ... use the 'speed-nuts' .... that's the factory way.

and, re-read RAY's post --- he KNOWs ! (post # 5 ).

called NPHNP ... or ... SNS , :yes:

ps . --- and, those small 'studs' -- can break-off -- be careful.

·
5,134 Posts
you have the correct style nuts, two slots in them. Do not try to use any single slot style to cut threads.

Bench fit the parts first. A deep socket and ratchet with a little pressure will cut the threads. Turn them in a little then back off a little just like you would do with tapping a hole. Turn in a little more then back off, repeat.
I don't use it but lube wouldn't hurt.
When you put them on the car you can feel when the nut starts in the same thread. If it feels tight you are cross threading, stop and reposition the nut.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Everyone!!! OMG, without you guys I'd of f****d things up good! The ones I took off said 'Made in the USA' so they've been on there awhile... Bill

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts