Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at the ATK 383 460HP complete crate engine. Looks like a good choice to drop into my 67. anybody have any experience or recommendations with these engine combos.

thanks,
Barry

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not buy any aftermarket engine without a warranty and guarantee that all the parts are new and not reconditioned. It might be cheaper to buy an engine from ATK, I can tell you that all of the crate engines sold by Chevrolet Performance Parts are assembled with all new parts, dyno developed, durability validated and come with a 3 year/50,000 mile warranty.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
West Coast Engines bulds some stuff with 3 year unlimited mileage warranties. Check them out.
Trevin

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm running a ATK .040 385 engine in my 65. I bought it from Brandon aka NoTalent on Steve's Nova website. I have over 5,000 miles on mine with no issues. It has hydraulic roller camshaft with their 195cc heads made by Profiler. I ordered a long block so I used my intake. I put a Holly Terminator fuel injection unit on it and it has been flawless. Gets 16 mpg and runs like a raped ape when wanted. I'm 54 years old and have been building engines off and on since I was 15. I couldn't order the parts as cheap as they could sell me a engine shipped. Mine came with a two year unlimited mile warranty. If I had it to do over again I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Napa2u, just for your consideration:
Did you review their replacement parts availability - If they have don't stock can you source everything from Chevrolet and ergo the aftermarket? Will that be an issue for you?
I went the Chef Performance route to ensure parts availability.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I have changed over to chevy performance. that video Deeznuts sent was interesting. I'll get some pics up when i resume the build

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont have a dog in this fight.... but I am just going to leave this here...

The problem with this is yes, you do have someone without experience in this field doing a video for likes. This guy was messaging our FB page on how to check things throughout this video. I wouldn't trust a thing he states to be honest (measurements wise). If you're looking at the deck height measurement he doesn't even measure it correctly, only half way when measuring up front and than goes on to say the piston doesn't rock...these have clearance built in....it definitely rocks. The numbered rods are not designated to go in a specific cylinder, at a factory level that builds hundreds of engines a day, they number the rods so the cap stays with the correct rod, nothing more, it doesn't matter what cylinder you put it in. The rusty rod is an eye sore, but I assure you they've been media blasted and machined. Surface rust is not an issue, although its definitely not easy on the eye, now if they had barnacles on it, that would be a different story. Old rods to get this way, it doesn't mean they're bad.

This is NOT an ATK High Performance build, this is a reman engine from our sister company that was built to be a very low $ replacement engine. At $1599 shipped with no core they have to reuse what they can and this engine would probably run for over a hundred thousand miles as its built. They do offer a Heavy Duty line if you want to pay the price with all new parts (except crank, rods, head and block core), but a reman engine is just that, they reuse what they can from a core.

I will also note he even tried to use his video as leverage to get upgraded free parts for a performance build SMH.

If you're in the DFW area, feel free to stop by and see how we hand build our engines with all name brand parts. We even offer no name parts on custom builds for those who dont want to spend the $.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wouldn't run a FREE ATK engine. I've used chevy performance/gm goodwrench in the past and currently have a blueprint engine in the '64.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with this is yes, you do have someone without experience in this field doing a video for likes. This guy was messaging our FB page on how to check things throughout this video. I wouldn't trust a thing he states to be honest (measurements wise). If you're looking at the deck height measurement he doesn't even measure it correctly, only half way when measuring up front and than goes on to say the piston doesn't rock...these have clearance built in....it definitely rocks. The numbered rods are not designated to go in a specific cylinder, at a factory level that builds hundreds of engines a day, they number the rods so the cap stays with the correct rod, nothing more, it doesn't matter what cylinder you put it in. The rusty rod is an eye sore, but I assure you they've been media blasted and machined. Surface rust is not an issue, although its definitely not easy on the eye, now if they had barnacles on it, that would be a different story. Old rods to get this way, it doesn't mean they're bad.

This is NOT an ATK High Performance build, this is a reman engine from our sister company that was built to be a very low $ replacement engine. At $1599 shipped with no core they have to reuse what they can and this engine would probably run for over a hundred thousand miles as its built. They do offer a Heavy Duty line if you want to pay the price with all new parts (except crank, rods, head and block core), but a reman engine is just that, they reuse what they can from a core.

I will also note he even tried to use his video as leverage to get upgraded free parts for a performance build SMH.

If you're in the DFW area, feel free to stop by and see how we hand build our engines with all name brand parts. We even offer no name parts on custom builds for those who dont want to spend the $.
No Notalent, l'm in california. but i train twice a year in DFW. Ill look you up when i come through in October or sooner when this crap ends.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Please do. Whereabouts? Im from Long Beach, been here in Texas about 13 years now. I plan on making a video here shortly showing how we do things vs. the competition. We always encourage anyone who's in town to come check us out. There is allot of misconception out there because as a whole ATK is a very large company and in allot of different markets. People think ATK Reman and ATK High Performance are the same, but were not, just under the same umbrella. I dont think any of the other main Reman companies have done over 10 million engines, they are very impressive, but with that many engines youll see some reviews.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"High Performance".... but if you use it in competition... example- take it to the drags and enter it in your local bracket race you are SOL if the thing goes tits up on you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Correct, High Performance doesn't mean "Race Engine" which would be built completely differently and cost a bit more $. Heck, not even Reher puts a warranty on their Race engines you'd be paying over $15k for. Racing is racing, you break parts, driver error, maintenance mistakes, etc.... it happens. Its part of the game, if it was cheap, everyone would do it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Every engine builder has had engines fail, no matter how good or well respected they are. I know of a Reher_Morrison engine that a customer had that came apart and a Sunset Racecraft engine that came apart. So take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. ATK is a mass producer engine builder so to have a failure here and there with the volume they do, there is always going to see problems. Chevrolet and Ford doesn't have service departments because their cars come out of the manufacturing plant without issues. The only issue you can control as a buyer is buy based on the parts used compared to cost, and the customer service after. Brandon has always been quick to answer questions and work though issues to the best of his ability. Granted the builder is always put to blame, but remember not many people are quick to admit fault when they install it. When I worked at the race engine shop, we couldn't control the guy that left with engine pieces and was going to put it together themselves. And when it was taken home and put together in a dirt floor shed and the motor blew up, you can bet the first question was who did the motor, and the machine shop name was thrown out there. Just some thoughts.

And as an example, the above mentioned Reher-Morrison motor was a 468 crate engine from years back that the buyer changed the oil pan and the oil pump themselves because the as supplied engine didn't clear the chassis. Well the pump pickup was on the floor of the pan. Was it Reher-morrison's fault, nope. But it was their motor.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I had a GM zz383 at one point for a good 6 years. It ran hard and held together under a lot of abuse. I was right out of high school and I pushed it all the time. It pushed my car to 12.teens with 3.73/TH350/3500/DragRadial stall all day long (12.01 was the fastest.... that really pissed me off it wasn't an 11 haha). I would buy another GM crate engine for sure.

Eventually I want to build a 6.0 LS but I would probably go with BluePrint over ATK. ATK just seems to be so much cheaper and there has to a reason. If I can afford it I will buy a GM LS crate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've sold ATK engines for years with only one actual warranty/failure that I can remember. I've used them in my personal vehicles as well (one engine and one transmission) with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I'd have no problem trusting them again in the future.

Notalent: is the No Fault protection available for the performance side?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Eventually I want to build a 6.0 LS but I would probably go with BluePrint over ATK. ATK just seems to be so much cheaper and there has to a reason. If I can afford it I will buy a GM LS crate.
This would be because BluePrint is the size of a mom and pop shop compared to us. I have nothing against them, they have a great product and im friends with the BP crew. Our Parent company and our size allows us to be very efficient, gives us buying power we pass on to our customers and keeps prices competitive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts