Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an overfilled tranny cause the TH350 Vacuum modulator to suck transmission fluid into the carb? Its the only reason I think of causing my problems. I overfilled tranny and will drain it when I get home today. The carb was shooting some nasty black smog and the inside of the manifold was like puke green or something.

How should I go abouts cleaning up this mess?

Gary

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
For trany fluid to get into the intake there would have to be a hole in the modulator diaphram, and it wouldn't matter if it was overfilled or not. Pull the modulator line off and look for trans. fluid inside it. If you find some I would replace the modulator.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
For trany fluid to get into the intake there would have to be a hole in the modulator diaphram, and it wouldn't matter if it was overfilled or not. Pull the modulator line off and look for trans. fluid inside it. If you find some I would replace the modulator.
x2 Sounds like a bad modulator to me!:yes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Had a modulator with a hole in the diaphragm suck trans fluid into the motor. Huge clouds of white smoke out the exhaust. Pull the modulator vacuum line at the carb and see if it's dry. Overfilling trans may puke oil out the vent or dipstick tube but not into the motor. It will also foam up the fluid causing trans damage. Green inside the manifold sounds like antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was brownish. Guy at parts store thinks I'm 180 degrees off timing. I think I relied too much on the rag in the #1 plug hole to find compression stroke. Its possible the rag pops out on the exhaust stroke too. The heads are 305, I think 58cc. I will check the rocker arms when I get home today

·
Registered
68 Posts
trans

unless you have mess with the timming, that's not it besides it would not run very good if timing was that far out

tony

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed VM hose and ran carb cleaner through it.... It was brownish but no real ATF. None at carb neither.

Removed and cleaned manifold....

Watched rocker arms while doing TDC.

I think I was 180 degrees off.

It ran like a sob

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If the distributor is 180 out the motor will not start.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If the distributor is 180 out the motor will not start.
Ok, thats what I was thinking. Will the engine even start much less run at 180* out? I never tried it.. And Im still curious about the crap in the carb. JR

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Removed VM hose and ran carb cleaner through it.... It was brownish but no real ATF. None at carb neither.
Have you checked your dipstick? Maybe your atf is burnt? Check for flat lobes while the intake is off. Do a compression check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts