Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bare 8.5 gm diff housing from a friend at work and i plan on putting a posi in it but i have never done anything with the differential before. i want to do it all in my garage to save money and to get experience.

My plan is to get a master install kit from summit but there are a lot of bearings and other parts. iv looked on the internet and i havent found anything on how to assemble the diff with all the bearings and crush sleeve.

is there a book or any article that goes through the whole assembly from the bare housing to the complete diff?

and is it possible to assemble the whole thing without any special tools that you cant rent from a parts store? (i do have access to a press)

·
Registered
89 Posts
rear diff

If you have any doubts about your skills, find someone in your area. It is not the easiest job Tools you might need are a dial indicator w/ base, micrometer or digital caliper for shim thickness, and an inch lb. dial gauge for bearing preload . and you'll need to understand tooth patterns and how everything affects them . real expirence gets the job right first time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Three speed is right.

I did mine at home and did not have all of the tools.

When I didn't have tools I went to AutoZone and O'Reillys. If you return the tools they have a program that costs you nothing. They have some specialty tools that are fairly common. I used a seal puller and a gear puller from them. It was helpful getting the axle seals out and the pinion yoke off. Everything came apart fine and everything went together fine. My wife was a huge help with some steps of the assembly.

Miles was also helpful when I had a question or a part need. (Thanks again Miles!)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i was hoping that autozone or O'Reillys had the tools to do it. i have access to a dial indicator w/ base, micrometer or digital caliper and an inch lb. dial gauge so i should be set.

the thing is that i wont be taking it apart and putting it back together, i can do that. but im starting with a bare housing and putting the parts in and i want to make sure i get it right the first time.

i have confidence i can read the tooth patter (ill post pics of it to make sure its right) and set pre load, backlash and all the other good stuff.

·
4,535 Posts
When you get all the parts if you want you can tell me the brands and I can tell you good starting points for the shims to get you close the first time and you can adjust from that point.

Miles

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
4,535 Posts
Axle bearings & seals. Start with .034-.037" shim.

Miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts