Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any one knows, I would appreciate the help

I just purchased a 1971 307 8 cyl automatic column shift nova and am trying to get it road worthy, Correct me if I am wrong! I believe the car has had a powerglide 2 speed tranmission in it as stock with the 307 but it now has a
th350. My problem is I have to muck around with the shift while starting or it will not start also the indicater is not quite lined up. Is there a different set up for the 2 speed from 3 speed?? If not what could be causing this problem< While on the topic is there enough room to put a floor shift with a bench seat (buckets will come later?)

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
The selector would be different from the powerglide to the th350. any after market floor shifter would work for your application with a bench seat, however you will still have the neutral safety switch issues. you could bypass the switch (not recommended) but that would work. Just keep in mind that if you bypass the switch your car will start in any gear. If you go with an after market shifter for the floor the installation instructions should address the neutral safety switch issues. Hope this helps, Good luck

·
3,863 Posts
If you swap a Th350/400 for a powerglide you would have to adjust the neutral saftey switch for proper operation. Pretty easy to do as the switch can be moved or rotated slightly on the column by loosening a couple screws. There is plenty of room for a floor shifter and now you can (read that should) extend the neutral safety switch wires to a new switch mounted on the flor shifter. You can mount a backup light switch there also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts