Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my fasteners yesterday and while reading the documentation it said to use ONLY ARP molly sealer or fastener failure could occur.

Is this a sale ploy or what?

What kind of sealer do you use on your head ARP BOLTS to prevent water leaks and or damage?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would not buy into there sales pitch, I used there directions, and thread sealer, they said to only tighten head bolt to 56 ft.lb. Long story short...they leaked. I had to get new head gaskets, and change them in the car. I called them and they just blew me off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did choose to use the arp lube on the blind holes and their sealer on the non-blind holes. They supposedly have the same friction resistance for equal torque. If you have screw in studs be sure to use some sealer on those as well if they go all the way through.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are bolts and the torque for the blind bolts is 10 ft lbs higher than the water jacket bolt holes. This is a BB if it matters.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, I forgot you have a big block. When I said studs, I was talking about rocker arm studs. If unsealed they will pull oil into the intake runner, at least on a small block. I can't remember on the big blocks if the studs go through to anything. Been too long.

Regardless, I think the arp stuff works fine. I used it everywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know and no the studs do not go into the inake runners. I will get some of the ARP stuff. I have to send back my timing pointer any way and get a different one so I'll just get the ARP goop then.

·
Registered
347 Posts
use arp all the time, just built my 327 w full arp kit, always just used molly grease on the washer and botom of the bolt head and thread sealer. tourque them bout between factory and arp specs, split the diff! never had a prob.

·
Super Moderator
9,801 Posts
I have ARP studs...used the ARP sealer...leaked. Now I wish I had used something else. So far the radiator stop leak seems to be doing the trick, but obviously it would have been better if there wasn't a leak in the first place.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've always used Permatex Ultra Black on the threads going into the block and lube on the washers and nuts/bolt heads. Never had a leak. :no:

I also use it on the intake bolts threads and rocker studs threads. No oil on the intake or oil sucking past the rocker studs threads into the intake runners.:no:

It's the same sealer I typically use on the intake end seals and corners of the oil pan as well. It has multiple purposes and works. Kinda like WD-40.:D

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a full set of ARP studs and bolts. Use their stuff or another, it doesnt matter. Its just thread sealant. I use permatex high temp sealer #59325. It goes a long way and its the good stuff. One tube will last a hobbiest a few engines. JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts