Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting into the wiring under the dash of my 79 because some of it had been hacked up and then I found these crimp connections that were wrapped in a sort of fiber tape. Best that I can tell so for all the wiring is going where it needs to so are these factory connections or someone elses hack job? There's 4 in the pic with one still wrapped

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I have seen those before and they were factory. Especially on grounds.

·
6,502 Posts
Those splices/connections are original from what I can see and it's how they did things.

Here is an exposed battery charging wire out of a 67 Chevelle I had to do some wiring work on and on this one they crimped the wires together with a connector and then soldered it. Most of what you will find may not be soldered. On this one it had some type of wide tape on it with an adhesive on the tape to make it stick and not fall off and insulate the connection.

You do need to insulate those connections to where no short can occur. While it would be nice to say all black wires in a loom are grounds and colored wires carry voltage but that is not always the case so treat everyone like it would have voltage even though it may not.

To make the harness look nice again, you can use electrical tape on those splices but when covering the loom with all of the different wires wrapped and covered, use loom tape. Basically it's electrical tape without the adhesive on it and allows the wires to shift against each other more easily when the loom get's bent and put into a position. If you use electrical tape, the loom is more rigid and after time if you ever have to expose the wiring loom you won't be dealing with old sticky adhesive left on the wires and on your fingers. The loom tape since it does not stick to itself has to have the one end looped over itself and then on the other end tied off so it doesn't unravel.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay perfect. It just looks like someone bugging a bunch of wires together but the crimps looked well done so I was unsure.

Thanks again, justin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts