Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Can you post a picture of where the brake line attaches to the caliper.
  • If the brake line is attached to the side of the piston housing, they could be Chevelle calipers.
  • If the brake line is attached to the back of the piston housing, they could be Nova calipers.
Note: I checked RockAuto, and the 3rd gen Nova + the 2nd gen Chevelle calipers take the same exact brake pads.

Just for reference, below is a photo of the brake caliper on my 1974 Nova with the brake line attached to the back of the piston housing.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Your front caliper looks just like the front calipers I have on my 74 Nova.
So just order the pads of your choice (semi-metalic, ceramic, etc) for front discs brakes for a 1974 Nova (... or you could take a set of your front calipers pads to a local auto parts store to match them up to the 74 Nova pads to be 100% sure).

·
Registered
769 Posts
'69-'77 GM midsize and some full-size. Probably the most supported caliper you can find

·
Registered
129 Posts
"Mid-size" is another name for A-body, or Chevelle/Lemans/Tempest/GTO/Cutlass/F85/Skylark,/GS. Also called "GM intermediate size"

B-body - Impala, Caprice, Bel Air and similar GM big cars are "full-size"

Nova/Chevy II back then was considered "Semi-Compact", Camaro/Firebird were also on the "Semi-Compact" chassis but called "pony car"

Corvair/, 1st Gen Pontiac Tempest/ Olds F85/ Buick Special were called "compact"...as was 1st Gen Ford Falcon/Mercury Comet

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just to add to the topic of “Chevelle brakes” in relation to the 62-67 ChevyII/Nova. A lot of the early disc brake swaps and kits used the Chevelle disc brakes which can be bolted onto the 62-67 drum brake spindles.. The reason most people refer to them as Chevelle brakes in regards to the early Nova is that the proper Chevelle caliper and more importantly the Chevelle rotor on a 62-67 Nova pushes the wheel mounting surface out 5/8” from the stock drum mounting surface.. Most of the disc brake swap kits use the A-body aka Chevelle designs with the 5/8” offset.. A “Zero offset kit” will use different rotors that have a shallower rotor hat profile which maintains the stock drum brake wheel mounting surface location and retains the factory front track width.. These rotors are fairly obvious to distinguish from the tall hat Chevelle rotors.
83A0291E-0F26-4A82-B0DA-2CDC67AC6890.png
1D66B773-BCCB-4311-9785-69DB989BF556.jpeg

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
quote from nova thug........Chevelle rotor on a 62-67 Nova pushes the wheel mounting surface out 5/8” from the stock drum mounting surface.

thats true as the chevelle style disks i have moved out the mounting surface 5/8". so then my 14 x 6 rallys with a 3 3/4'' BS rubbed bad with 205 70's. the fix then was to get some camero 14" rallys with a 4 3/8" Back Space on the 205 70's. all fixed now with no rub.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly those pads were the 728A also called D52 pads. I worked in an auto parts store in high school in the mid 80's and pretty much every mid-size GM vehicle had them, We stocked 100's of sets at all times that;s why as soon as see the design the part # pops right into my head

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been building a Gen 3 Nova for a while. I rebuilt the brakes and bought new wheels and tires for it. Many years later I've finally gotten it painted and got the fenders on for the first time.

Anyways, I have a big rubbing issue with the outside upper part of the tire and the inside lip of the fenders.

When I pull the part numbers for the brakes I bought I see they are the exact same part numbers for the brakes on a Chevelle. So do I have "Chevelle Brakes" that are pushing my track width out the same way as the Gen 2 Nova?

Anybody know if the replacement zero offset rotors used in this kit are a factory part from another vehicle? Changing wheels to get the correct backspacing would get me in the "custom" order wheels and the price goes way up.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been building a Gen 3 Nova for a while. I rebuilt the brakes and bought new wheels and tires for it. Many years later I've finally gotten it painted and got the fenders on for the first time.

Anyways, I have a big rubbing issue with the outside upper part of the tire and the inside lip of the fenders.

When I pull the part numbers for the brakes I bought I see they are the exact same part numbers for the brakes on a Chevelle. So do I have "Chevelle Brakes" that are pushing my track width out the same way as the Gen 2 Nova?

Anybody know if the replacement zero offset rotors used in this kit are a factory part from another vehicle? Changing wheels to get the correct backspacing would get me in the "custom" order wheels and the price goes way up.

Any suggestions?
No difference between 69-74 3rd Gen Nova and 69-72 Chevelle brake rotors. In fact, you can pull the entire spindle, rotor, caliper assembly off a 68-72 Chevelle and it will bolt right onto a 68-74 Nova....all you need to do is swap the steering arms from front steer to rear steer. All the parts are the same except the steering arm and the caliper hose.
Only difference between 1968 and '69-72 is the 68 has the 4 piston style caliper and a rotor with a caliper clearance area in it.

Reason they rub is you bought the wrong wheel offset.

I've never seen that "zero offset" rotor on anything stock, so I would guess they are made special for that kit. They don't have a factory GM look to them.
If you can get them for the 3rd gen, the 2nd Gen literature from CPP says they are only 7/16" narrower.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

Any suggestions?
you didn't say what wheel you have or the back space. but a back space of 4 3/8" on a 14 x 6 rally works perfect on my 66. this rally has a code of YW by the valve stem an a 205 70 tire.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
As Ericnova stated above the A-body disc brakes are the same as the X-body and further more are the shared F-body (67-69) application as well. Those brakes are the standard disc brake design for all of the A,F, & X Body vehicles for a number of years. Do they push the wheels out 5/8” per side relative to oem drum brakes on those applications? I suspect it is possible but it is the expectation or normal on those vehicles. Under normal circumstances these don’t have the same clearance issues as the 62-67 ChevyII’s.

What you are experiencing is not absolutely clear as we don’t know the details of your build..?

What is your front suspension setup,.? Whet are your wheel and tire specs..?

L

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts