Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 355 sbc. it is just a street car. i have double hump heads on there now. idk about the internal besides there not stock. my uncle built it for me.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah a 180cc head is a good street head. i'd inquire regarding chamber & valve sizes though. you'd want at least a 64cc chamber... they probably have 2.02 & 1.60 valves, maybe larger... check first ;)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Like Flyer said good street heads depending on what valves are in them and what cc they are. Sounds like if you're heads are already ported and have good guides the Darts won't help you much maybe worst without matching the cam and intake manifold to the new heads. RICK

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
thanks. i want some afr's but i cant find any used.
a 355 sbc. it is just a street car. i have double hump heads on there now. idk about the internal besides there not stock. my uncle built it for me.

on the engine you mentioned... will the engine know the difference... and will it really matter which are used? ;)

ANY performance head will be better than a stock, as-cast Camel. spend a bunch of cash porting etc on the Camels and they can be as good or better than "some" out of the box perf heads. now spend cash on the perf head with extra porting etc and now that head is again better than the Camel... Darts, Brodix, AFR's etc are pretty much better than an as-cast or ported Camel out of the box.

your engine will notice the difference immediately, but whatever performance differences from the darts to an AFR... you'd never know it...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what i got from that is there will really not be any difference in performance from the ar and the darts. but i will see a big difference in performance from the hump heads? thank you for all the help, i want to learn to build engines and work on cars. i am 19 and no nothing. my dad was a machinist but he died when i was 10 months old. he raced a 64 nova (my unlce races it now) and i live 14 hours away from everyone who could teach me. sorry for putting the sob story i was just letting you know why idk anything.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you're good... we're here to help, this is the BEST place to be for that! ;)

just don't get anxious and jump off the cliff... take your time and climb down carefully and all will work out great...

meaning go slow and don't go ripping things apart when the knowledge & experience is lacking. go slow, ask questions, BUY THE MANUALS and stay with the basics first. ;)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Also do you're self a favor do a leak down and compresson test on you're motor before you get to deep and find out the bottom end is worn out. RICK

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks you guys. i am going to start with the little stuff. if i get heads i will have to pay somone to put them on :( i would rather do it myself or someone i know besides someone idk.
those are a good price on those heads, what about these? i figured the bigger ports the more flow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-25534421/

with the intake which one would i use?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the engine is a fresh build. my uncle has done all that. he builds the race engine and he runs 9.80s in the 1/4. the bottom end only has 30 miles on it. the heads are the last set of heads my dad ported, idk how good they are.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
before you do anything, why not talk to your Uncle? if the Camels were ported it's very possible they're a good performance head.

i've a set of camels prepped in the '80's that are still to this day an Excellent perf head...

again, check/talk with your Uncle. if your heads are good maybe he can recommend for you the best thing needed to be addressed to enhance the performance level to the next stage...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yeah he said to save up and buy some afr. he uses them on the race car and he said he loves them. i will see what he thinks about both the vortec heads and intake.

on the ones i posted are those just one head?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts