Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a multifaceted question.

I had heard that those poly seats can literally yank off of the iron threads on the bottom and cause catastrophe. I had also heard that in an accident they can break and cause damage.

so I took them off. but at the track last night, 80% of the cars had them, and some didnt have a roll cage.

question is - has anybody seen where the mounting threads came out? they are metal in plastic so Im sure it could possibly happen

and the other question is, how hard does the car have to be pulling for this to happen. could it happen in a 12.5 second (on a good day ) car?

thinking about putting them back in.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but I would think more than just a few members here might need to know the answer to this. So...BUMP...

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Well in order for the seat to come out,all 5 points of my harness would have to break and the mount behind the seat would have to sheer from the cage. I'm not to worried about it.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You don't see any real fast cars running them. No 8 second stuff for sure. They are made for cars that run seat slide tracks and aren't super fast. And if I was to use them in a real fast car I would want to attach the seat in more ways than the molded in fastener points.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well in order for the seat to come out,all 5 points of my harness would have to break and the mount behind the seat would have to sheer from the cage. I'm not to worried about it.
Brandon
I agree. Although they're mounting at those 4 bolted points, there is also the 5 points of the harness as well as the "over built" brace that I use that braces the seat to shoulder bar of the cage. I don't think it's going anywhere. BUT, I don't have an 8 second car either.

JMHO,
ND

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I would think with the harness attached properly, the seat is doing no more than holding your butt off the floor--where could it possibly go?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i went bolt through and used a steel plate to sandwich it to the floor. i've got a bar and mine mounts to it as well. i could see the back of one breaking if you didn't have it mounted against something like a rollbar, but i could see that regardless of the type of seat used.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If you don't have a bar, and you are not using a 5 point harness, I don't think you will be any safer with an aluminum vs. the plastic seat. I would agree that in an 8 second car you would want to step up to a nice Kirkey or something like that, but I run the plastic seat in my high 10/low 11 second car and I'm not concerned about it one bit.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
You MUST run a roll bar or some type of upper bracing with these seats. Even in a 12 second car, I strongly recommend a roll bar of some sort! With that said, all of our cars have these seats, using 4 of the bolts on the bottom and 1 up top anchored to the cage. I put my car head on into the wall like this...I walked away with bruises from the harnesses and a cut/bruise on my leg from smashing the shifter...Oh and a broken heart:D

You don't see any real fast cars running them. No 8 second stuff for sure. They are made for cars that run seat slide tracks and aren't super fast. And if I was to use them in a real fast car I would want to attach the seat in more ways than the molded in fastener points.

Look closely...My father's 8.50 index car..

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I told you look close :D

Yes it's a G-Body..Monte Carlo to be exact..I'll get a better picture...Right now it's in the trailer and I have no room to take a picture..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The seats in our old camaro were mounted the same way Joe was talking about. 4 bolts in the floor and also mounted to cross bar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts