Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1963 Chevy ii. It is a convertible, and it is a stock vehicle with the exception of upgrading to a 10 bolt differential out of a 1965 Chevy ii and moving from 13 inch wheels to 15 inch wheels. Because of the wheel and tire combination I have got very minor rubbing of the rear tire against the quarter panel. Just barely touching the sidewall. Here’s my question. Have the original Springs from 1963 in the rear of the vehicle become more relaxed and therefore lowered the back of the car even just a little bit? If so, could a guy purchase new leaf springs that are stock replacements and gain that little bit of height I might be looking for. All I’m looking to do is have the vehicle at stock height. Have you ever heard of springs becoming less springy and lowering a vehicle over the lifetime of a vehicle. 1963 Chevy two convertible. Also, where would I go purchase quality springs?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
springs can weaken, but before you conclude that happened give some actual numbers
what is the height of the highest point of rear fender opening...out of factory was 21 to 22"

most likely your issue is going from 13 to 15" wheels you also have much bigger and/or wider tires
what wheels and tires did you have before, what wheels and tires do you have now (wheel diam, width, bs, tire size)

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
233 Posts
I had presumably stock mono leafs on my ‘71. 6 cylinder power glide car. Light duty everything. It was swapped to a 350 and a TH350 by the previous owner. I swapped new Summit 2” lowering multi leafs in it and it dropped approximately 1/2”. So in my experience, definitely. Although I’m sure the allegedly 2” drop is not completely accurate in all cases.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
You’ll need to give us the wheel and tire specs to determine what the cause of the tire to body contact.. I suspect the problem lies in the wheel backspacing. A 7” wide wheel needs 4.5-4.75” of backspace to work with fairly conservative tire sizes. I ran 215 and 225/60/15 section width tires on 15x7” wheels with 4.25” of backspace and both rubbed the outer wheel house.. My 64 was lowered approximately 2” all around. I had some custom offset wheels made with more backspace and the problem went away..
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like what was mentioned, springs can weaken over time. Instead of just ordering a new set of springs, find a spring shop, they could make you new springs, possibly rebuild your old ones. Years ago, I had a Cougar with big tires on the rear, a spring shop in Seattle made me some new main leafs, the raised the car about four inches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like what was mentioned, springs can weaken over time. Instead of just ordering a new set of springs, find a spring shop, they could make you new springs, possibly rebuild your old ones. Years ago, I had a Cougar with big tires on the rear, a spring shop in Seattle made me some new main leafs, the raised the car about four inches.
wow. 4 inches is a loooong way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts