Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '62 has had a '73 350 installed and the engine is offset to the passenger side about an inch. I questioned the guy and he said that the mounts were the same and it was not his choice to have it offset, but that's just the way it is.

I know Mopars are usually offset to the passenger side, but I've never seen GM products with offset on the engines.

So is the offset supposed to be there? If not I know I can "fix" it, but just wondering if I need to fix it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you "fix" it? Are you planning on moving the trans tunnel etc. to?
I'm probably going to build my own front sub with straight axle. While doing that I have some options as to placing the motor from side to side. As far as the trans / tunnel goes, I'm not sure what I'll end up with trans wise and will play that by ear when I'm at that point.

If you go to my Picture Trail photo albums in my signature, the last album was a project I was working on when I moved from MI to MO. Because of my new job here, I was working way too many hours and doing lots of work travel. The '55 Nomad gasser just sat in my garage for over 6 years and I finally sold it. Hindsight it might have been a better thing to keep it and finish it, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

I made all the front end clip on the '55 as well as working in the stock inner fenderwalls with removable panels so the headers could be removed easily to remove the BBC. I also did all the rear suspension on the 9" rearend. I kept the leaf springs but went with Chris Alston 36" ladders and spring sliders so I would not bind up the rearend. I also installed the floor pans on a very rusted out floor. Luckily the floor braces were good so I only had to cut around the braces, remove the old flooring and then strip off the small pieces left on the braces. It actually went very quickly.

I also did most of the chassis work on the Willys. I also made all the front belt mounts for the alt, AC etc and the motor and trans mounts. I had to do some rework to my application on the rear suspension. Now that car I have major seller's remorse.

On the Willys I bought Speedway BBC fenderwell headers and then bought flanges and 2" header tubes prewelded from Headers By Ed. The flanges had the 2" tubes 2" long. I had to basically cut all four pipes just above the first bend up and then rearrange some of the cylinder pipes to make them fit the firewall. I then cut in the 3" exhaust from the collectors all the way back to the exit end of the car. I made them in lengths that could fit in a local coating supplier's ceramic coating system. so my entire 3" exhaust was ceramic coated.

I installed the Vintage Air under the dash, made all the dash support mounting, modified a Gennie floor shifter to look more hotrod with the trigger handle from a bicycle handle I had laying around. I did all the pre upholstery sub panels, mounted all the electronics, amps, subs and speakers, ran my stainless polished AN brake and fuel lines, and wired the car from start to finish. I just like the challenge like most everyone on this site. I see LOTS of inventive people here and I like that a lot. The quality of work on the cars here is terriffic to say the least.

Sorry for running on like this, but when my fingers start to talk, I cannot shut them up...

Bottom line is that I like to do my own thing as much as I can. I'm not too good with paint, but have painted a couple cars in a previous life when living in Michigan. I only metion all of the above because it gives you a little background on my likes etc. Like I said in my intro, anything with wheels and a motor are interesting to me. My interests go from water, ground and then to air.

I'm limited to a 3-car garage now and the problem is that it's filled up with 4 motorcyles, so some have to go to make room for the '62.

I appreciate you asking about what I might do and I apologize for the rambling.

Thanks again for the input on the offset on the motor.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Chevrolet offsets 1" to the right/passenger side... most/all of the aftermarket clip manufacturers center the engine in the bay... for a manual transmission application utilizing mechanical linkage this requires shortening of the Zbar by that same 1".

i'm unsure if the straight axle clip guys center the engine, but i think they do also...

no tunnel mods are needed when the engine is centered. i have a Heidt's clip, engine is centered... no issues in the tunnel for clearance other than the specific requirements of the tranny used. i have a TKO which has a larger case than a std manual trans (Muncie/Saginaw) so YES now there ARE tunnel mods needed.

to build yourself a straight axle clip no problems should arise... other than to accommodate what ever trans you'll be using. and that info would generally have already been encountered. (it's common knowledge the tunnel needs to be modded to fit a TKO, T56 etc)

best of luck, POST up pics of what ya got, what you're doing etc. :thumbsup:

Sedans Rule!!! :D

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Awesome work you do and YES you should have kept that 55 gasser wagon. It was lo:yes:king really good and you were doing it up right.

Dang you even had Linda Vaughn sitting shotgun in the old Willys. Nice!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome work you do and YES you should have kept that 55 gasser wagon. It was lo:yes:king really good and you were doing it up right.

Dang you even had Linda Vaughn sitting shotgun in the old Willys. Nice!
Yes Linda had her beautiful arse right there on that nice red leather seat of mine. My wife is quite busty and she was holding the door open to get the picture. Linda called my wife little miss flat chest and asked her to sit beside her on the floor for the picture. My wife said no way was she going to sit next to her looking like that. Linda also signed my dash board on the passenger side with a paint pen I just happened to take with me to the show for that reason. There is NOT a nicer person in the car biz than Linda V.

That was taken at St. Ignace MI in '01. Linda is always one of the celebs at that show. That was also the year my Willys was the featured and tee shirt car. It was a great honor to be the tee shirt car for that show. It's gone down in size of late, but St. Ignace in the late '90s early '00s was the largest single day car show in the nation. Ford and GM were always there showing off their new stuff and one year GM brought up their old futuristic cars from the '50s. They had their Buick convertible turbine car there in '01 and it was a great thing to see; and hear...

And to the others with suggestions on the sub frames etc, I thank you a lot. It's going to be some time before I get into this project so for now I'm learning all the do's and mostly trying to learn the don'ts.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Linda Vaughn is one of the nicest people out there. A buddy and i were at the Bristol TN NHRA drags several years ago, maybe 1992 or '93. Well after the top fuelers ran they had this nice '62 Impala ss convertable sitting beside the old tower with Linda leaning against it. At that time the fence was only about 20 feet away, we started talking to her from the fence and she came over to talk with us. Spent about 30 minutes just chatting with that gorgeous lady in her skin tight / low cut gold outfit, she was telling us about a couple of cars she has had, experiences riding in the shows..etc and signed anything we asked her to and posed for pics with us. When they had the 62 SS ready, she had them come by about 2' from us, stood up in the car and gave us a nice "wiggle" and blew us kisses. A great woman to say the least to hang out with us normal people.
Don

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,965 Posts
I think Speedway offers a straight axle front clip for ya. I retained the offset in mine. I found it easier to make things fit and as I'm going to be driving solo most of the time I like the balence. Ya know takin only one picture of the linda is just wrong.:eek::)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
6 cyl's are not offset. they look to be offset by the way they are cast. I believe (from memory) that the valve cover is 1" offset to the pass side. They have different size frame mounts on each side of the engine, but if you take a measurement the crank C/L is centered between the frame rails.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
yeah, the Sixers are also offset, the left side frame mount is taller than the right side frame mount...

and they're not interchangeable with the V8 frame mounts...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts