Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if name brands really matter as far as a good house use welder. Can anyone give me some good brands that they are happy with?:D

·
Banned
389 Posts
Good Welders

If your going to spend good money for one, try and buy a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. Are you thinking MIG welder? 110V or 220V model.
Any of these three have a very excellent reputation, parts availability, and customer support. Do some homework and comparison shopping at your local welding supply, they should be more than willing to help you buy the right unit for your needs, and get you setup right. All depends on what your plans are for it.
I would try and stay away from the off-brands for numerous reasons, some of which I mentioned above.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to get a 110v MIG. I have body work I am going to be doing so I want a good welder that will lay down some good flat beads but I don't want to spend a ton on one either. But I guess when you buy one you bought it for life.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,
I was looking at the Millermatic 135 or the Hobart 140. The Hobart is $150 less. I wonder why. I think its bcause the Miller has more options. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Miller.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats good to know. Atleast I won't be disapointed. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Miller 135 is the best 110 IMO.

The savings in a cheap welder will be quickly forgotten when you use it and get flusterated.

Big difference on migs and cost is the feeding of wire. Cheap ones have plastic gear, small motors, bunch up, etc.

I have a miller 185 also and never had feeding issues like I did when my dad bought an off brand mig. The off brand died a few years later, millers just seem to keep going forever.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
the 110v linclon's are very good i have one and i love it. just make sure to buy copper core wire and the gas conversion kit.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I had a Century 120 volt 110 amp mig and it was and still is a decent welder. Gave it to my son in law when I got the Lincoln 175 220 volt machine I have now. Easy to get repair items and normal wear parts for something with a name brand. Buy the cheap o machines and you can not get parts to use them when things wear out. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, Everyone says Miller is the best. It looks like everyone is pretty satisfied. So I can't wait to pick it up and start stitching body panels together. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
novaBRO said:
just make sure to buy copper core wire and the gas conversion kit.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't you mean copper coated wire?:)

·
3,862 Posts
Miller's are great, but don't discount the Hobart which is made by Miller. I have the Handler 180 and it is a great 230 volt machine. They are a little bit cheaper (try Tractor Supply) but fit the bill quite nicely. They have a 110 machine too (HH 140).

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think Miller and Lincoln are about same. I have a 220V Lincoln Mig and plasm cutter and a Miller Tig and Miller plasm cutter. I like them all. I don't think you could Wong with ether one. IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts