Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have a 1962 coupe with a 3.2L 194 and When looking at parts I’m seeing that a lot of the time it says that a part is compatible with 1963 through some year I forget the exact year but not with 1962s and there is usually a different part number but the part looks the same what is the difference between the two.
Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
It depends on the part. I can't think of any differences in the 194 engine itself between the years as far as most engine parts go. Other things like the hood hinges, parking light lenses, body trim, door latches and strikers and a whole lot of other things are unique to the 62. Some items will fit but just wouldn't be listed for a 62.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on the part. I can't think of any differences in the 194 engine itself between the years as far as most engine parts go. Other things like the hood hinges, parking light lenses, body trim, door latches and strikers and a whole lot of other things are unique to the 62. Some items will fit but just wouldn't be listed for a 62.
I’m talking about the engine specifically. Because I’m looking at some carbs that say they will fit a 63-68 and just wondering why

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Yep, there are differences. Maybe not all with the block, though there is a difference there. I don't have a '62 block at the moment, but there is a narrow (1/2"?) rectangular boss cast into the rearward passenger side that is '62 only. Past that, in the engine compartment and engine related, I can think of the following

-Carb has the choke with a pipe for direct heat from the exhaust manifold

On this point, '63 and up will have a divorced choke, where the heat spring is in a little rectangular box (choke thermostat) bolted to the exhaust manifold, and a little rod goes up to activate the choke.

-no PCV valve, so different valve cover and no hole for PCV vacuum source on intake
-different exhaust manifold to accommodate the pipe for the choke, and no boss for the rectangular choke thermostat/rod
-road draft tube for crankcase ventilation (one year only)
-generator, no alternator, and a different wiring harness in the engine compartment for that
-different voltage regulator for the generator

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. But one of the crazy, out-there hotrod mods that I did to my convertible was to go with a '63 style carb, manifolds and PCV valve as it will be a cleaner car in the engine and out. Still have the generator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, there are differences. Maybe not all with the block, though there is a difference there. I don't have a '62 block at the moment, but there is a narrow (1/2"?) rectangular boss cast into the rearward passenger side that is '62 only. Past that, in the engine compartment and engine related, I can think of the following

On this point, '63 and up will have a divorced choke, where the heat spring is in a little rectangular box (choke thermostat) bolted to the exhaust manifold, and a little rod goes up to activate the choke.

-no PCV valve, so different valve cover and no hole for PCV vacuum source on intake
-different exhaust manifold to accommodate the pipe for the choke, and no boss for the rectangular choke thermostat/rod
-generator, no alternator, and a different wiring harness in the engine compartment for that

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. But one of the crazy, out-there hotrod mods that I did to my convertible was to go with a '63 style carb, manifolds and PCV valve as it will be a cleaner car in the engine and out. Still have the generator.
Wow super helpful thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So if I wanted a 63 carb I would have to swap the manifold and the pcv??

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Some 194s had a siamese exhaust ports other then that most everything else should be the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
For a '63 Carb, you'll need to run a '63 and up exhaust manifold at least for the choke thermostat and rod to the carb. If you find an intake/exhaust manifold combo, then find one from '63 up and that will do for the carb. For the PCV, a '62 valve cover has no PCV hole at the rear, but '63 and up have a PCV hole. There are several flavors of valve cover too, some with another direct vent of the top of the engine to the bottom of the air cleaner, so if you want the valve cover from, say, a '65, get the '65 air cleaner and tube that fit into the side of the valve cover.

Below is a pic from the '62 brochure. You can see the generator and the road draft tube coming out of the rear top of the valve cover. Harder to see the tube from the exhaust manifold that goes up the the choke thermostat on the air horn on a '62. No PCV

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok Thanks for all the info I’m probably going to go with a 62 carb Even though it’s more expensive it sounds like it will be cheaper and easier due to all the mods. I’m very glad I didn’t just buy one and see what happened

·
Registered
990 Posts
You could use the 63 carb by converting to a manual choke. It's easy to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts