Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great deal on a 95 caprice cop car complete for about 1300. I would like to install the motor tranny in the 67 Nova(already tossed the 6er and PG). Not sure yet what other parts I can use but that comes later.

Tranny was just rebuilt supposed to take 500hp with the parts the guy put in it. he threw in the 383 stroker crank and pistons so it looks like it should be a pretty cheap combo after machine work.

My question is can I use the wiring harness and computer out of the caprice or will I need to purchase aftermarket stuff from like painless to install them? On a related subject anyone see a reason why the 700R crossmember wouldn't work with the 4L60E? they are the same case right?

thanks Chris

·
Banned
389 Posts
Lt1

Chris, I really don't know the answers, somebody here should. But there's a 67 Chevelle Wagon on Ebay right now with the same conversion as your thinking about. Got some good engine pics, and you may contact that fella and ask him, he may help you out if he's a nice guy since thats what he did. Otherwise, over on the www.chevytalk.com website there are some real knowledgable guys when it comes to that stuff too!
Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

·
3,875 Posts
You can use the computer and can modify the wiring harness to work. I would keep the computer and by an aftermarket harness which would really clean up the installation and bypass the VATS which can be a bugger if you forget about it. I had an Lt1 and 4L60E from a Trans Am at one time, but sold them prior to installing it into anything, but I did a fair amount of research on the swap. Hang on to everything until you have the engine running in your car.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Lt1 in the Caprice had iron heads versus the aluminum heads found on the Corvette or Camaro's of the time.

Oh yeah, the 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700-R4 so the mounting should be the same.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
72VenturaII said:
You can use the computer and can modify the wiring harness to work. I would keep the computer and by an aftermarket harness which would really clean up the installation and bypass the VATS which can be a bugger if you forget about it. I had an Lt1 and 4L60E from a Trans Am at one time, but sold them prior to installing it into anything, but I did a fair amount of research on the swap. Hang on to everything until you have the engine running in your car.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Lt1 in the Caprice had iron heads versus the aluminum heads found on the Corvette or Camaro's of the time.

Oh yeah, the 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700-R4 so the mounting should be the same.
Yes, the caprice has the iron heads, and I think is rated at 260hp. The aluminum heads are not hard to get though. The VATS prevents you from starting the car without a special key for the ignition, right? That MUST be bypassed. I wish I could do an LS1 swap into a four door 3rd gen someday to make a great daily driver :D

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
You can also use a cross member for a 700R4 with the 4L60E. I had to go aftermarket controller with my 4L60E in my 66, I used the compushift setup.
Tg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm probably too late but the guy I had cut my harness for my LT1 was Jims performance , and he will redo the original harness if you have one and get rid of the VATS , and he does it darn reasonable . I can look up his number if you are interested , I was darned pleased with my harness, runs great !....Tim

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim I would be interested in talking to him if you have the number. Right now I cant decide if I want to just sell the motor and tranny and go with a more conventional approach or buy the harness to finish with it. thanks chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stroker clearancing machine work will add up on a LT1 block. I have owned a few (only 1 now) and I was going with a 427 stroker kit until I was quoted insane prices from two different machine shops. That all may be because of the kit I was using but I was told by both that LT1's require more work to clearance than old style blocks on any stroker kit. Oh.. and if you can... get away from the opti!!!!! I can't remember the company (Delteq I beleive) but they make a awesome opti delete package. Changes it to coil packs similar to a LS1. If not I have a box full of opti's and I could let a few go. :rolleyes: I hate changing optis on my Z-28. Great, strong running motors though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts