Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to upgrade my brakes on my '66 with either 4 piston Wilwood or Baer caliper and master Cylinder. I currently have a 11" CPP disc conversation but not happy with the stopping power of a single piston caliper. The master cylinder is a stock GM dual reservoir.

In addition, is anyone using adjustable coil-over QA-1 rear-shocks and if so let me know any pros/cons and a part number. Thanks!

No response from the Suspension forum:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have used M/W, Strange and Wilwood brakes. I have Wilwood 4 piston brakes on the back of my big tire car and also on the front and rear of my stock suspension car. They are OK IMHO. The Strange brakes on the front of the big tire car have less drag than the Wilwoods I had on it. The M/W calipers were more rigid and had less flex than the Strange or Wilwoods. So I'll say they are OK but not spectacular. Not sure of your issues with the single piston conversion but have you looked into the M/C bore size and pedal leverage as a possible issue with poor stopping? Just a thought. RM

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, the leverage/alignment rod is right. I have 3/4 pedal and it is very firm. I don't know the diameter of the M/C but this is one of my concerns. I have seen Wilwood had M/C with up to 1.12 bore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gimmee a brake please!

Hi Ed,
I had the same problem when I first built my car. I switched from an S-10 master cylinder to a Mopar style with a SMALLER bore size. This INCREASES the line pressure to the caliper. Just e-mail me if you have any questions.

Best of luck,
CJ

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 8.68 sec @ 156 you definitely have to have a way to slow it down. Wilwood has the Mopar style M/C. They look compact and lightweight. I will do a little more homework on that. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts