Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried water injection with there blower or turbo motor? Seems like a cheap way to make good power. I have a 177 blower on my 355 and wondered what it would do, and is it easy to tune and use. Thanks

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Water injection works great as an intercooler. Lot of the dragracing classes where you're not allowed to run a mechanical or physical intercooler you can run water injection to get your intake air temps way down my buddy is probably picking up 250 hp with his water injection on a 1300 hp small block Ford single turbo blow through carburetor deal. He is also mixing methanol in with the water injection I believe it's a 50/50 mix

Depending on how much boost your making and how higher intake air temperatures are will determine how much of a performance increase you will see with water injection. I think on a naturally aspirated motor you might see 30 hp with a water injection kit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked out Snow on the internet. But has anyone here tried it out for themselves. Sounds like a good deal. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So they say with a blower that nitrous acts like an intercooler as well. Which would be better, or am i comparing total opposites? Just looking at price, snow kit is $650 and a NOS kit would be around $500. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just really wondered which is the best and or best bang for the buck. So really not sure what kinda of gain to expect. Plus have not had it to track yet to see where im at.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am looking to go with the snow performance water/methanol injection kit for the 355 with a 144 blower on it. All the questions I have asked and all the reviews I heard were very positive. Plus you can crank up compression and run lower grade gas without detonation. I will probably be ordering it when I am finished building my motor.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
798 Posts
A little different application but I had water injection (Injectronic or something like that) on a N/A stock 429 SCJ which was about 11.5:1 compression.This was back in the early 80's so the kit itself was a bit primitive but it worked great.Allowed me to add a decent amount of timing without pinging to death and when I tore that engine down you could put your bologna sandwich on the piston crowns and fill the combustion chambers with chicken noodle soup for lunch.It was that clean.That alone was worth the price of admission.They're a little pricey but I'm considering a setup for my current engine which is borderline at 11.7:1 on premium fuel.There was an episode on Horsepower TV that featured the dude from Snow Performance showing off how great his kit is on the dyno.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've not run one but alot of my friends run them and love it. The cost to refill is MUCH cheaper than N02!

N02 may be a cheaper kit to begin with but you'll be paying more overall refilling it.

Can you say Windex?!:eek::D
Very good point. Thanks. I am trying to figure out which kit to run, pretty sure water injection sounds the best.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
IMO the AIS (Alcohol Injection Systems) kit is hands down better quality stuff than the Snow stuff. It's a little more money but the quality of the components & engineering that went into it is no question higher quality. I put water injection on our nitrous engine this year. It cools the combustion chamber temps which increases ring life, allows for higher timing without detonation with lower octane fuel, which all means more power and engine longivity. For blower or turbo apps, they typically use a 50/50 mix of water & methanol, or just winshield washer fluid is most commonly used which is pretty much the same thing. On nitrous setups plain water seems to work best. Give Rodney at AIS a call and he is always willing to answer all questions & make recommendations for what will work best for your application as well as explain what makes his system better than the competitors. I installed our system in a couple of hours and it works very nicely. If you have a CO2 system or nitrous, you don't need a pump setup, simply put in a supplied 150 psi regulator and you are ready to roll.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
just an fyi, for those of you who like to save money(yes, its weird but not everybody likes to save money. some people like to spend money, and buy the most expenisive of everything)

you can put together your own kit for about $150.

the pump is the same, fittings the same, nozzles the same, but you save anywhere from $300-500

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
That's a very blanket statement and can assure you that you can't throw together a kit like AIS sells because many of the parts are NOT off the shelf parts. I do know that some of the less expensive kits use garden misting type pieces & pumps that you can readily buy. You can throw together a cheap nitrous kit too but as with anything else, there's a lot more to it if you value your engine investment.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
That's a very blanket statement and can assure you that you can't throw together a kit like AIS sells because many of the parts are NOT off the shelf parts. I do know that some of the less expensive kits use garden misting type pieces & pumps that you can readily buy. You can throw together a cheap nitrous kit too but as with anything else, there's a lot more to it if you value your engine investment.
although the link he offers is a great alternative, your statement says it all. I had a friend grenade his motor due to his meth kit failing and well the rest was history.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
im sorry mike but that is simply false.

ais, uses the same shure pump as everybody else, a similar part with less psi can be picked up at northern tool for 60 bucks.

they use the same nozzles as everyone else, mcmaster carr parts.

they use the same fittings as everyone else, also available at mcmaster, or cheaper on ebay

their controller is not pulsewidth modulated, so at low levels you get a drip instead of high pressure, just like snows box.

they use generic fuse holders, generic hose,generic everything except their tank, or a cheaply made china alternative.

i would not recommend AIS over snow, and i would not recommend either one over a DIY route

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
im sorry mike but that is simply false.

ais, uses the same shure pump as everybody else, a similar part with less psi can be picked up at northern tool for 60 bucks.

they use the same nozzles as everyone else, mcmaster carr parts.

they use the same fittings as everyone else, also available at mcmaster, or cheaper on ebay

their controller is not pulsewidth modulated, so at low levels you get a drip instead of high pressure, just like snows box.

they use generic fuse holders, generic hose,generic everything except their tank, or a cheaply made china alternative.

i would not recommend AIS over snow, and i would not recommend either one over a DIY route
I was careful to word my note saying "many" the parts are not OTS. I know some of the pieces are commercially available obviously such as hoses, fittings, pumps, etc. The kit I installed I know for a fact that most of it is custom stuff that many of the parts are not available from anyplace else because I worked with Rodney while they were being developed. The kit I installed is a nitrous kit which is probably somewhat different. I sent Rodney a note for clarification so he will either respond directly on here or I'll pass the information along when I get a response from him.

As far as DIY, I'm sure there's a lot of things that people can source parts & pieces & throw something together themselves to save a few bucks. Personally, adding something to a $85K engine without any background or expertise in water injection is probably not a wise decision so I leave it to people that have developed it, and successfully done it, with proven results. It required changes to tune-ups, timing, water jet size changes, etc. and also that not all jet types spray & atomize the same meaning volumes and spray patterns. So what I'm saying is the parts & pieces are only part of it, the knowledge and experience that comes with it from a vendor are equally as important IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I haven't heard from Rodney yet, probably tomorrow but in the mean time, here's a good read on the difference between various vendors nozzles and what makes some better than others. Read it HERE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts