Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start on my gauge setup, but when i originally bought the car i didn't think about asthetics much, so i now have a 5" ultra lite tach and 3 2 5/8 gauges....i want to use these instead of any OE stuff....I know the smaller tachs and speedos work in the covan classic setup for a 1st gen, but does anyone know if it would be possible to fit a 5" because i know i won't recoup my loss on the gauges and it will be kinda hard to make a panel to fit those contours with the tools at my disposal....

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Covans Classics Calling Flyer for a photo!

I have a set of Covans Calssics sitting here waiting for my 62 to be finished. They only hold the smaller 3 3/8 speedo and tach and the smaller 2 1/16" accessory gauges. I hope this helps. One of the members....I can't remember who, installed some of the 5" gauges in his stock 62 bezel....looked great. I know the Flyer is doing the same thing......maybe he can post a photo here for you.
Ron

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks....i know they only are "supposed" to hold the smaller gauges, but i was wondering if i bought the blank panel if it could even support (obviously with modification) the larger gauge....btw how does it look, cheap or nice or what

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Covans Classics

I bought the drilled panels and I will install my own Auto Meter "Phantom" gauges. The ones I bought are what they call "brushed aluminum" They are injection molded from some kind of plastic. The first set I bought was not trimmed very well on the back side of the speedo bezel where it meets the dash. The dash on first generation's has a ridge or raised area that runs right across the middle of the speedo bezel. This is where the Covans piece did'nt fit very well. I sent them back to Summit Racing where I bought them and they sent me out anothre set.....almost as bad a fit the first set, but I think I can work with this set....a little trimming and just pull them in tight when mounting. Other than the back edge of the speedo bezel being off, they look great!
Ron

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
you can mount a 5" gauge on that panel but it proabally wont look right, if you use a stock panel the 5" gauge takes up the whole width and fits flush w the outer edge (the trim ring on the gauge sticks out farther than the panel) so w the covan panel, the rest of the panel will be ressesed down about and inch where the 3 3/8 gauges would mount. you pretty much have to spend $100 on the covan panel and still do a lot of mods to make the 5inchers fit. if you want to use the larger gauges i would say stick with a stock panel and modify it......

it looks sweet w a stock panel, ive done it w a 63 panel and made a filler piece to fit inbetween the two five inch gauges on both ends, or you can use a 62 panel and it all ready has the filler piece inbetween. you have to open the stock panel up a bit to fit the 5inchers. theres a couple of other guys that have posted pics of there set ups like this, im sure theyll do it again.....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gettin ready to go with the covans panel i think...i am getting rid of the 5"er and getting smaller everything....anyone have some pics...

hey is the brushed aluminum "look" real cheap looking or is it nice

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

Here is mine, almost completed in this pic. I used the smaller gauges, as the 5" is just big and would have to be centered. Could use it but limited on the extra gauges around it.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
yep, that is the "brushed alum." look. It actually looks pretty good, the finish on it is very good, just more of a bright glossy paint finish, doesn't have the scotch bright pad scuffed look to it. I am happy with it, I ordered the non-drilled one and put my own holes in it. Fit well in my car, had to do a little trimming across the top due to the dash pad.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i decided to go with the covans setup....i am using silver stewart warners and wanted to paint the bezels black and go with the "brushed aluminum" deal, but somehow (my fault didn't read summits description, the picture was in silver) i got the black with the grainy finish....they are kinda cheap and flimsy, but i really like the piece that goes where the radio is, i was going to make something but for the price that wouldn't get near the time i would have in it...i guess a black dash with black cluster and silver guages will look good anyhow...i will post pics as soon as i get it in

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i took it over yesterday....the center peice that holds 3: 2 1/16 gauges is pretty nice , fits great and looks good, i like the amount of angle toward the driver they put in each gauge spot....the main cluster is real bad though, it will need a lot of trimming to look right, actualy it will need a lot of trimming to even be able to be installed, as soon as i get some pics up of this i'll post it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts