Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Eastwoods self-etching primer from the can. I don't have any spray equipment, so I have to do it all from the can.

I heard epoxy is better, but does it come it in rattle-can form? At least it's temp until I have the car painted. Then I can scuff it out and prep it for a real paint job. I just need to protect the bare metal as best as possible for now.

Thanks,

DW

·
5,132 Posts
I do not know of a rattle can epoxy.
You are going to get the same poor results from any rattle can primer,
so if that is all you can use, keep what you have.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Actually Eastwood carries a true 2k epoxy spray bomb. Its rather expensive
around $18. a can but with no spray equipment your options for a good
primer is limited. They also sell it at my local paint shop so you might want
to check around.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yup, there is some GOOD rattle can 2k epoxy primers. Have all the same attributes as mix yer own as far as durability. I have used them. Very expensive, 18 a can. But they have really good directional spray tips, plenty of propellant to the last drop. Good for spot jobs but expensive for the whole.
And I say there are some. Theres actually only one. Relabeled by various re-sellers. But its all Spraymax. And it IS a true 2k. You pop the inner seal from the bottom to mix the two products . I have sprayed about a case of the stuff. Smells nice too LOL JR

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I'm at the point where I am sandblasting the Eastwood Encapsulator off as it looks terrible and rusted through... beleive it or not. I don't know what went wrong, other that I used the 2-part rust converter first, then brushed over it with the Encapsulator, which is what it says to do on their site. Then I painted over it with Rustoleum semi-flat rattlecan. But light rust bubbles began to come through all around the high spots of metal, around the radiator support, and in other spots on the firewall, and now looks terrible.

I'm already pissed-off that I have to blast it all off, but in the same token, it looked terrible as the encapsulator is like painting maple syrup. BUT... everything else I POR15'ed under the car and all around looks mint. Go figure...

As far as rattle canning, I have to. My nieghborhood is too close to paint, I have no equipment to paint with (I borrowed the blaster), and I have NO CLUE how to paint. So I'm sure it will become a disater anyway.

All I want to cover with the epoxy is the engine compartment, then I want to shoot it with Eastwood's Underhood black. That should keep it good as it will never see the rain or a wet road.

What I blasted already looks fantastic, but it's very time consuming and messy as hell. I have to blast, then prime the metal, then blast more another day... etc. Not the best forumula for success so I hope this works. I just had heard the epoxy primers are the best protection for bare metal...better then etching primer.

Thanks for the info and advice, I knew there was canned epoxy primer out there, I'll google it.

DW

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've tried the epoxy appliance paint, it works pretty good on engines and stuff. Recently I painted a rusty 'mini' shopping cart with it. Just wire brushed off the loose rust and shot it.. so far the rust is not coming back thru. Never tried the 'true' epoxy..

Seems to me I recently saw an ad for a true 2 part epoxy, where the spray can mixes at the nozzle. Pretty exciting stuff. Sure to be expensive though.

On some of my earlier projects, I got great results from a product called ZERO RUST. I just brushed it on. Word of caution: it is NOT a top coat product. So, don't use it ( else cover it over ) anywhere the sun can get to it. The sun breaks it down. Otherwise, it is a good product for things like underhood, inside doors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts