Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a stuck/bent intake valve on #3... No Big deal because the headers were coming loose anyway from the previous owner over torquing the header bolts in my aluminum heads. :eek: Needles to say I am taking the heads to the machine shop but going to fix the bolt holes myself. Has anyone used Keenserts in thier heads???

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
we have used them were i work but you will need a specialized tool for installation when you pound down the 4 locking studs i think id just get a heli coil kit from napa

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, getting all 12 header bolt holes heli coiled. those keenserts look pretty sweet and even more sturdy...

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I used a time-sert. The tool kit cost $160 bucks on amazon, and the actual inserts were $5 a piece. You can make the repair without removing the head. When I was done I sold the kit on ebay for near what I paid for it.

·
6,404 Posts
Never used them on heads but we use them frequently in maintenance and for production repairs. Work very well. Although we have Helicoils for maintenance, we rarely use them. I can't remember the last time we used a Helicoil in a production repair. Production repairs need engineering approval for any deviation and it's always been acceptable for the Keeserts(or equivalent). Generally the tapped hole for the insert is drilled a little larger then the normal size. They provide the drill size and tap size per application. The tool for staking the insert is like a punch with a short hole drilled in it. Use the tool to drive the stake down and finish the staking by turning the tool around and using the other end to fully seat the stake.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I've used time serts a few times. Everytime I do headgaskets on a Northstar engine I time sert the holes or the bolts pull the threads. Stupid design on Cadillac's part...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts