Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Anyone use Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator? I'm thinking about using it on parts of my floor pan that have some pitting, but are structurally sound. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I am planning to do the same thing. Just make sure it is clean, no wax or grease, and no rust flakes and such.

I am planning on spraying some Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating & Flexible Sealer Sound Deadening over it.

Here is my setup: (cutting out the bottom right)

Got any pictures?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaner?

What kind of cleaner did you use? Eastwood has one they recommend, but after I purchased they had to refund my money because I cannot buy that product living in CA.

I'll post pics this weekend as I get into it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ive never used the Eastwood stuff but I have had great results with the Por15 brand

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used it on a chevelle chassis, the por that was on there was flaking off. I stripped it down with a wire wheel and sprayed a few coats of the eastwood encapsulater. Looks really nice and dull black, I don't like the gloss por has for chassis parts. As for holding up, I can't say. I shipped the car last December. But I would use it again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They now have a Semi Gloss Balck that looks much better

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Permatex also makes an rust converter
aerosol or brush on can be painted over
you can get it locally at your favorite parts store
I used this with a spray nozzle on it , to get inside the rear frame rails , when I had the tail panel off
Craig

·
Registered
705 Posts
rust encapsulator

We used to thin down Por 15 and squirt the floor and trunk bottom.. I think they have taken all of the "Good Stuff" out of our older products these days

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Romancommander, does it sound like I'm on the right path? I'd really like to only have to do this once;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Eastwoods RE is pretty forgiving. I'd scuff the surface, then use a prep all, then hit it with the RE. Give it a medium coat for the first application, then wait one hour and hit it with a heavy coat. Let it dry a solid 24 hours before mess in with it. It flashes off pretty quick but stays soft underneath for a full day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts