Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wagon air cleaner is not fitting right. It hits on the incoming fuel line to the 2 bbl carb. Can anyone with an unmolested one post a pic of their carb? Also a pic of your air cleaner, not sure I have the correct one or not. I need to find out if this incoming fuel line is run correctly. I really don't want to beat the cleaner with a hammer to clearance it.

So far 2 gaskets isn't giving me enough space.

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your carb have the 90 deg brass fitting where the fuel line attaches?

Thanks
Randy
No it doesn't. I was thinking that might be the solution, but the fuel line looks correct the way it is routed. I'll snap a picture later.

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here you go. This carb is straight off a '66 and so is the base. The piece of masking tape denotes 'forward' for the air cleaner base. Car was A.I.R. equipped, but this shouldn't matter. View attachment 424991 View attachment 424992 View attachment 424993 View attachment 424994 View attachment 424995 View attachment 424996 View attachment 424997 View attachment 424998
Carb looks right. My air cleaner is totally different. Assuming yours had some 'California' air compliance extras. I'll post a pic of my air cleaner later. It is almost the same as the one on Lucille's L6 1bbl

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel Motor vehicle

See the dimple just to the left of 12 o'clock? Someone tried to clearance it but didn't dent it enough as it still hits.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior

I think it would fit if the fuel line going in to the carb wasn't as horizontal as this or the horizontal bit was shorter.

Not entirely sure this air cleaner is correct. Pretty sure that was a brand new, replacement fuel line. If there was supposed to be a fitting, the bends would be all wrong.

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

I'm thinking its not the right air cleaner. To me the snout should stick out towards the front more, like a 45 degree angle. This one almost points out straight to the shock tower.

·
Super Moderator
4,610 Posts
It's not the right air cleaner base at least. And I'm thinking not at all the right top either. These parts are getting harder to get. Used to be a decent restorable air cleaner was $20 at the swap meet. Not so much anymore.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i had the same issue, albeit with a 4-barrel, trying to find clearance for the fuel inlet at the top edge. very surprising and difficult to find, sadly none of our stock bases fit. only a shiny Edelbrock unit managed had the wide dome to fit.

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'll need to try to get a V8 one. The one on her is identical to Lucille's. It fits the 2 bbl but its not indexed to the right angle and won't clear the fuel line.

And here I thought I was done spending money on it.

Took it for a drive today and realized the odometer is stuck at 50099.9. I was so excited to see it click over its first 100 miles and ...nothing. LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not. I have a 1967 Chevy II factory 283 2bbl. Mine has the 90 degree fitting on the carb. I'll post some pics. Some pics with and without air cleaner.
I haven't routed the vacuum advance tube correctly, i think it goes under the fuel line with a clip. Still a working project.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts