Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Looking to do a little bracket racing with my 66 hardtop. Now it has a mild 350 not sure of the specs, super t-10 4 speed and 12 bolt rear not sure of gear ratio yet. The 4 seed scares me a bit. Seems like it is a lot more difficult to pull consistent numbers and more prone to breakage. Anyone have any experience with this or some tips or tricks that might help me out. Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
went too

went to a gear jammers event this past weekend ,,, alot of those guys ran right on their dial in. I guess ya still gotta be able to drive whatever you build , whatever it is

·
Registered
562 Posts
thank you for the thread. i am gonna run a borg warner in my car instead of a th350. the sticks are hard on stuff but so is a trans brake. They both shock your components. i just love sticks, and they take less than half the power of a high stall automatic.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Thanks for the great link above. Does anyone know how the super t-10 holds up racing ??
I had one in my '66 Nova. I never broke any gearsets, but I broke plenty of synchro rings. At first I had a box with the 2.64 first and a 1.60 2nd. The drop from first to second was much more than the Muncie I had in the car before. It was definitely hard to shift fast. The local clutch guru "Friction Phil" at Bayshore friction in San Jose, built me an unsprung hub disc with 4 pucks on each side. This made a big change in how it shifted. I later found a 2.43 first gear box, which I think had a 1.75 2nd gear. This shifted better yet. The car ran 11.60's in the low 120's on street tires. I had a decent amount of breakage including Posi units (both stock Eatons and Moroso brute strengths) U-joints and I had a clutch come out the bottom one time. I probably put 600 or 700 passes on that car between the two boxes.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
thank you for the thread. i am gonna run a borg warner in my car instead of a th350. the sticks are hard on stuff but so is a trans brake. They both shock your components. i just love sticks, and they take less than half the power of a high stall automatic.
Care to elaborate on that statement? If that's the case you are saying I can take out our 2,000 hp engine, put in a 1,000 hp unit and run the same numbers? If that's true, I'm first in line. I've had plenty of manual trans cars and know an auto/converter takes a little more hp but wasn't remotely aware it was that much difference. :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
and they take less than half the power of a high stall automatic.
Care to elaborate on that statement? If that's the case you are saying I can take out our 2,000 hp engine, put in a 1,000 hp unit and run the same numbers? If that's true, I'm first in line. I've had plenty of manual trans cars and know an auto/converter takes a little more hp but wasn't remotely aware it was that much difference. :eek:
I'm no expert on this, but what he said sounds about right.
Autos use about 100 hp.
sticks use about 50 hp.
Looks like 50% less power was used :confused:

Or are we talking about something else? I don't think any (automotive) trany uses 1000 hp does it?

BTW nice Camaro Mike.

---Bill.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Class racing indexes let automatics run 50-100lbs lighter.
depending on the class.

And if you think a Trans-brake is hard on parts, You have no clue.

Manual transmissions find the weakest link in everything.

Best make the strongest drive-shaft you can.

Also a scatter shield installed correctly.
Clutches will kill you!

Al

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think what i said evidently got taken a couple different ways..

what i meant a stick takes half as much power is : sticks can trake 50-80 horsepower to run, were a high stall automatic can take up to around 175 horsepower loss to run... if you reed any car books you will find that exact info. { i know people take stuff different so this isnt implying you dont reed car books}

I hope to god there is no auto that takes a 1,000 horse to run.. sorry for confusion

big al.... what i was meaning is a trans brake is hard on parts compared to a auto running off a footbrake. They do shock your components in a similar way{in my experience} .sticks are hard on parts ,yes. racing is hard on parts as well. and yes scater shields are a must.

sorry for the confusion. al, and mike if you have any questions on anything i may have stated weird please send me a message and i will try and explain how i meant it. everything that i am thinking doesnt hit the screen sometimes . i need to explain better . you guys have lots of great info, and i hope the info i have will help some people as well... thank you

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Thanks for the great link above. Does anyone know how the super t-10 holds up racing ??
I personally wouldn't even consider running a super t-10.
If you are planning on running a stick shift trans, your best bet is to buy an adjustable sintered iron clutch, dog ring gear racing transmission, with a vertical gate shifter, and a heavy duty driveshaft with 1350 u joints.
If you try to use anything less, you are going to run into some very expensive breakage, real fast. Doing plenty of research will save you alot of money. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I personally wouldn't even consider running a super t-10.
If you are planning on running a stick shift trans, your best bet is to buy an adjustable sintered iron clutch, dog ring gear racing transmission, with a vertical gate shifter, and a heavy duty driveshaft with 1350 u joints.
If you try to use anything less, you are going to run into some very expensive breakage, real fast. Doing plenty of research will save you alot of money. Good luck.
Bill has given me some great advice, and between him and the other Bill (sc68z28) I have probably already saved my clutch from being destroyed. A v-gate shifter is a great idea, but I'm not able to use one with my style trans. I wish you could have heard me shifting this past weekend, though, as the trans shifted smooth as butter and It sounded more like an automatic than it sounded like a stick. Not as fast as a clutchless trans, obviously, but really fast nonetheless. My car was HOOKING this weekend, I just didn't have the proper gearing or clutch or power or something and it BOGGED bad. Every time the motor got dragged down I was afraid of hearing the always threatening POP! of something being broken. Nothing did, though, and I drove home without any issues.

I've never used a different trans than the TKO, and now that I have it built right I really really love it. It's fun to be able to drive to the track and back with the O/D of 0.64, taching 2200rpm at 80mph and getting something like 15mpg on the fwy.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah my car is a street car mainly just want to race a little before it gets the major rebuild. The super T-10 does not seem to shift all that well to me is why I ask the question at first. Everyone seems to love stick shift cars and so do I but I don’t want an all out race transmission. Trying to find a happy medium without going automatic. Some people swear I need an automatic with overdrive but I'm trying to avoid that. The search and research continues!!!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yeah my car is a street car mainly just want to race a little before it gets the major rebuild. The super T-10 does not seem to shift all that well to me is why I ask the question at first. Everyone seems to love stick shift cars and so do I but I don’t want an all out race transmission. Trying to find a happy medium without going automatic. Some people swear I need an automatic with overdrive but I'm trying to avoid that. The search and research continues!!!

My TKO with all the work done to it is still very streetable.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So can you explain to TKO me. I found that it is a Tremec but are there different models. Hope I don't sound too stupid !!!! What kinda cost we talking about ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So can you explain to TKO me. I found that it is a Tremec but are there different models. Hope I don't sound too stupid !!!! What kinda cost we talking about ? Thanks
http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc.htm

That'll give you an idea what you might spend on a good TKO. Mine started life as an earlier model TKO 500 and it's upgraded to having the 600 gear sets and a lot of little 'performance-oriented' stuff. If you buy one new it's about $2800. Yes, expensive, but worth it. I remember Liberty's Gears telling me that the trans that I have now should be good to easily 800hp. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have to worry about breaking it anytime soon. There are other companies that distribute TKO transmissions, but if you're drag racing Liberty's is the place you want to talk to.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I used to run a Super T-10 with a 2.88 first gear in my car. I never had any problems, but to me, it's all in the clutch setup. If you try to run a stock clutch, you will end up breaking things. A good race clutch will allow for slippage which will helps take some of the shock out of the system.

Depending on launch RPM/clutch set up, an automatic with a trans brake is every bit as abusive on drivetrain as a manual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts