Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has painted their drum brakes. If so, what did you use? Any pictures? I'm just looking for a way to clean up the drums until I can afford discs. The two products I'm looking at are below.

VHT -

Eastwood -

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I painted mine close to the color of the outside of the car paint. I have been painting my drums for years. I did not do the best prep work and at first used the cheap home paint. Than when I had my car painted 11 years ago they used the paint that they used for the car. It came out decent. Like I said that was a long time ago. I don't have any pictures. If you can see your drums through your rims. I think it will look good. Make sure you cleaned the drums as good as you can. The prep work is key. Today they have better paint for doing this. I see they have yellow (COOL :D ) I will be doing it again in the future.

Good Luck,
novamaniac

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Prep?? That means take the tires off of the car before painting the drums, right??:eek: When I painted the Nova years ago, I basically just washed evrything off pretty good, and then I blasted some chasis black on the drums, springs and in the wheel housings. It looked nice and clean for a while. On a daily driver, it is too hard to try to keep those areas clean, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it. The next time around, it will get better attention.

Randy (No, you can't tell they were painted anymore):eek:

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I wirebrushed and sanded my drums and painted them with some black high heat BBQ/grill paint made by Krylon. It's cheap, available at any walmart, and has lasted about 6 months now.

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I used some cheap red wally word(walmart) paint.I didn't prep.I bought some when I was doing some brakes.Works great.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Prep is pretty important if you want it to last a while. I've used BBQ grill paint, engine paint and VHT brake paint on older projects. I personally like the VHT product because it doesn't fade as much as the others and it resists brake dust well.

If your drums are old and rusty, make sure you wire brush them really well to get the flaky loose stuff off. I've see guys sandblast at this point but it's not really neccessary. If you want some extra rust prevention, use POR-15 on the rusty surface and top coat with VHT. I prefer to paint black drums to make them disappear behind your nice wheels.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i saw a shot of a member's car here at the site that looked as if he had aluminum shields behind the wheel that hid the drums/rotors... looked pretty nice too...

sorry, i can't find the shot....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the TORCH said:
i saw a shot of a member's car here at the site that looked as if he had aluminum shields behind the wheel that hid the drums/rotors... looked pretty nice too...

sorry, i can't find the shot....
Something like this?

I haven't decided if I like them or not...might make the car too "blingy" IMO.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Prepped them good then used BBQ Grill paint. Worked great and has lasted quite a few years.

The only mistake I made was the paint was a heat curred paint. I thought it would be a good idea to cure the paint before putting them back on the car. I put them in the kitchen oven @ 300 degrees for awhile to cure them. When the wife came home and said what's that smell I knew I was in trouble, was she ever PO'ed.

Yes that is too much BLING!!!
Jason70SS said:
Something like this?

I haven't decided if I like them or not...might make the car too "blingy" IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts