Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the function of this is behind my backseat?
Also is this the fuel return line in the last picture located left side under firewall?
Do I need it ?
Can I block it off?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
The compartment behind the back seat is for the Separator Assembly. The three fuel tank vents connect to the Separator and the fourth connection out of it is the vent line at the bottom of the firewall that goes to the canister mounted on the passenger side fender.
That whole setup was removed from my 72 by a previous owner, who just plugged the three fuel tank vent outlets and drilled out the gas cap venting to allow it the breath in and out. That didn’t work!
So, I opened up the three plugged up fuel tank vents, plumbed them together and ran the line to a vent mounted in the trunk that vents under the car. With the new vent in place I installed an unvented gas cap. The ⅜” fuel line runs from the tank directly to the mechanical fuel pump and the smaller line from the tank is plugged.
I still get the gush-back when fueling up but not nearly as much as before and fuel delivery to my 454 is what it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,320 Posts
Right now i'm retaining my stock vapor stuff till I find a clean solution. I don't want to leave the canister in the engine compartment forever. I found brand new stainless fuel system lines on CL that included all the lines so I installed them. Might abandon later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts