Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 nova that needs paint. There is some surface rust that may need some body filler but nothing major. I want to get it fixed and painted so it doesn't get any worse. I am currently away from home attending school so I don't have a garage or a sprayer to work with. Being a poor student, I am considering going to earl scheib. I figure it should last a couple years till I get out of school and have the time to do it right.

Anyone advise against going to E. Scheib for a temporary (2-3 year) fix?

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
No, as long as you know what you're getting, I don't see why not. On the other hand, it might be good to compare them with the local Maaco. All the franchises can vary widely in the quality of their work. Check out a couple of places, and go with the one you feel comfortable with. Also, pull every single thing off the car that you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Earls Paint

I Remember When You Could Get A "cheap $100.00 Paint Job Back In The 1960's. The Truth @ Paint Jobs All Start W/ The Basics, "prep, Prep, And More Prep".
I Am Sure If You Float The Body Shop A Few Extra $$$ They Will Spend More Time "prepping" Your Ride. Body Work Is Where They Used To Really Get You. If You Are Looking For Something To Just Get You By It Would Be Ok...
You May Want To Consider Media Blasting W/ An Epoxy Primer. You May Be Giving Yourself A Bigger Headache In The Future As To Be Removing All The Paint That E.s. Puts On The Car.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Greg_R_63 said:
No, as long as you know what you're getting, I don't see why not. On the other hand, it might be good to compare them with the local Maaco. All the franchises can vary widely in the quality of their work. Check out a couple of places, and go with the one you feel comfortable with. Also, pull every single thing off the car that you can.
Back during college (aka the poor days) the 78 went to Maaco for paint. I did all the bodywork and took off as much trim as I could. They did get a little overspray on the windows but that came off with a razor. I went so far as to taking out the window channel felt, all trim and the door handles and locks, etc. If you have a little extra $, you may as well pay for the lock and handle gaskets. If you can't take off the bumpers (for whatever reason) then tape them off yourself.

The only complaint I had was that the paint was base silver without clear, so it started to fade in a couple of years. For the $ and the timeframe I needed the car, the paint job wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You might consider just getting the rusted areas fixed "right" and wait to get a decent paint job. Otherwise you will be paying again to have it stripped and redone correctly and painted again. At least the rust areas won't progress and you won't have to redo it all again.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Actually these Pictures are not very good,but here is another,I am thinking 1980.These Pictures are Scanned,Hurt the Quality.I know the SS emblem,s are not correct,back in those days Money was Tight,Notice the Trailer?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The first time I sanded and painted my car was with a little electric mouse sander and walmart spray paint.:eek: :eek: It works good enoff till it gets painted.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Some of the economy painters arn't really bad at all. If you do all of the prep work and mask it off yourself it can come out nice for $500. 1 a day paint and body is a little better quality but more expensive (Speaking of 1 Day I read a budget paint and body article where they did a 4th gen nova and took it to 1 day it was yellow.)

On my old chevelle it had a 2 yr old earil shieb paint job that the previous owner had put on. It started to fade a little around the trunk lid. It cleaned up nicely and I thought the paint looked good for a driver.

The nice thing about earl schieb is that they have specials on thier pro 3 paint job often for $299 (ussally $499) and it comes with a six year worrenty

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had my Malibu done at Maaco for the $199 special. I did all the body work and used a good 2k primer surfacer, block sanded, preped with #400 and took it down to the paint shop, stripped of trim, bumpers, etc. I did alot of the masking too. mainly in the engine compartment jut before they shot it. I'm happy with the way it came out!

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I work with someone that had their 1989 S-15 painted at Maaco. His did the body work with a friends help and did all the pre work he could. It looks like a NEW truck. His job was around $1200.00 for two stage/two tone paint and an extra coat of clear then it was sanded and buffed.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I had my car painted ar MAACO a couple of years back and am happy with the results (see website). I did alot of the prep work and bought the PPG paint and primer. I have taken the car to a number of shows and get complimented on the paint. The owner of the local MAACO brings people by to see the car and show his potential customers what he can do. It is a two part paint job and it was block-sanded and clear-coated. I paid 2k for the paint job and as the owner said, "this car was painted at MAACO but this is not a MAACO paint job". I also have a 4 year warranty. I am happy!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I am not trying to Sell Maaco Paint Work,just showing that they are not all bad.It all depends on Many Variable's.I know you asked about Earl Scheib,but I know nothing about them and have never seen a Car Painted by them.When I was 18 and had Painted Cars but never been a Painter I Started in a Maaco.I Stayed there Longer than I thought I would.I would not work for a Maaco today but that has nothing to do with what they do.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Shady,
I bet you Never would have believed I worked there before,but Everyone Has to Start Somewhere.I never Payed to Paint a Car and they did not mind.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Untill I started looking at these Old Pictures I did not realize how many Rally Wheels I have had.Here is a Better Picture of the 1969 396 Car Painted at Maaco.Not Bad for a 500 Dollar Car,things sure have changed

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Joe said:
Untill I started looking at these Old Pictures I did not realize how many Rally Wheels I have had.Here is a Better Picture of the 1969 396 Car Painted at Maaco.Not Bad for a 500 Dollar Car,things sure have changed
Things sure have changed. My first 2 cars were prepped by me and painted by Earl. He ran an ad, "I'll paint any car for $19.95". He got my business, and the painter got a 6 pack of Bud. We were all happy. :) Is my age showing?

Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the tips. I asked about Earl Scheib because I haven't seen any of their work. They have a pretty good special right now with a six year warranty. I have a maaco 10 miles from me so I'll check them out too. I don't care if it is a top notch paint job but I want the body work to last. Maybe i'll have a local shop do the body work and take it to maaco for the paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts