Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to Back to the Bricks Cruise Week-end Aug 11-15 in Flint
Mich.?

I was thinking of staying at the Baymont Inn on PierNorth Blvd. (I-75 at Pierson.)
Does anyone know if this is a good place to stay ,and is it in a good area of town?Any suggestions would help as we are coming from Toronto and we don't know the area.
Cheers:beer1:

www.backtothebricks.org

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So FAR 5 MEMBERS GOING TO THE CRUISE

It looks like there are going to be about 5 guys going from Steve' Nova site:
Chevynuts88,ZZ572,Shane65,66BADBOY,& Mike Pand myself Canuck.We should maybe PM each other with our cell phone numbers to meet up somewhere,or maybe Mike P could suggest a place to meet seeing as he lives in the area.What do you think?
Cheers
Phil (Canuck):):yes:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cell phone #

I have PM everyone with my cell # .I will be leaving early Thurs morning to head down to Mich.,so PM me no later than Wed night.
Cheers Guys Hope to meet up with you all
Phil:yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cell phone not working

Hi guys I have arrived but guess what my cell phone doesn't work.I have tried to phone you all from the hotel but all I get is a busy signal.I will Pm you with my hotel phone number.So if I don't see you have a great time
Phil:yes:

·
6,407 Posts
hey I saw this car out on the street cruisen' lastnight.
I did not get to talk to them,but I was able to see that he had a steves nova site t-shirt on.
so he might be a member here.

That would be me with my wife. We got lucky late this afternoon and got a spot right on the main street. We're hoping to be there early in the morning. Look us up.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Well.......we made it down there for 5 minutes. It's an hour trip from Marysville to Flint. Once we got there, my 4 year old puked all over the place in our minivan. So, we turned around and went home. Didn't even get a chance to park!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where's the picture,my car?

Hi Rich ,
You sure took alot of pictures but you didn't get one of my car ,I was on 2nd Ave. at Church St.You were there because you have a picture of a car that was across from mine it was a white 63 Pontiac and also a white Buick with blue letters on the side.Anyways too bad we couldn't get together with you and the other guys.I did meet up with Mike P and his wife ,great people , too bad he had trouble with his car,broke down at the cruise.We had a great time,it would have been better if it wasn't so hot.We got there around 7.30am and it was full up on the main street,some people were there at 3.00am in the morning,too early for me.Here are some pictures.

Cheers :yes::yes:
Phil

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Hey, nice pics!!! We were RIGHT there.......and then the technicolor hurl happened. :( Ahhh, kids.......

Oh well, we're not gonna miss it next year!!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to the bricks turnout

Great turnout:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
Back to the Bricks - August 2009 Newsletter!

The 5th Annual ‘Back to the Bricks Cruise and Car Show’ is now in the history books. By all estimates, the spectators and participants attendance surpassed our projected attendance figure of 250,000 and participant show car attendance of 25,000 for the five day event. The weather was fantastic for the entire five days starting with the 1st Annual ‘Bricks Flicks’ drive- in movie on the grounds of the Flint Cultural Center. Approximately 300 show cars showed up for the movie and the feature for the evening was ‘American Graffiti’. Wednesday and Thursday evenings featured our famed ‘Rolling Cruise’ which featured 36 host sites, thousands of spectators and show cars cruising the twelve-mile cruise route that stretched from south of Grand Blanc, through Burton to downtown Flint.

Friday’s activities kicked off with a free pancake breakfast in the U of M’s parking lot and was followed with a free hot dog lunch being served at Duke’s Car Stereo. By 3PM downtown Flint was starting to fill up with show cars in anticipation of the free Motown Concert featuring the Contours with Sylvester Potts. By 5:30PM, the entire downtown of Flint was filled with show cars and thousands of spectators were starting to fill the streets of Flint. Even with Friday night’s event officially closing at 10PM, many car show owners and spectators chose to stay after closing to the wee hours of the night. Needless to say, your ‘Back to the Bricks’ committee members chose to go home to capture a few well deserved hours of sleep.

The feature day of the event, Saturday, saw car owners arriving in downtown Flint at 2AM in the morning to get one of the ‘prized’ parking spots on the ‘Bricks’! Yours truly arrived at 6AM to find the entire ‘Bricked’ surface of Saginaw Street filled with show cars! That was a first! Obviously, the show was kicking into high gear already even thorough it did not officially open until 10AM. By 10AM, all of the side streets were filled, along with Saginaw, Beach and Harrison Streets which are the main north-south streets. Live entertainment abounded from one end of the show area to the other end. Special displays included dragsters, antique fire engines, antique campers, professional cars (ambulances and hearses) and literately thousands of show cars. Sponsors displays were featured in front of the U of M’s ‘Market Pavilion’ and on the ‘flat lot’. To the north end of the show area, a vendor lot was set up for the first time. Traffic was a little light in the vendor area in as much as from the southern point of the show car area to the northern end was about three-quarters of a mile and with the high temperatures, ambition by some to walk that far dwindled fast. I would be remiss if I did not mention the success of the 2nd Annual ‘Women’s Market Place’ which was held in the U of M’s Market Pavilion. It was sold out and featured over 25 vendors selling items for the fairer gender. This left the guys with their cars to ‘tell lies and kick tires’ for a few hours with their buddies.

The ‘Back to the Bricks’ committee extends much gratitude to all of our sponsors. If it were not for them there would be no ‘Back to the Bricks’. It is through their generosity that our five-day event is made possible and kept ‘free’ to all of our participants and spectators. Obviously, with the economic times as they are, we do not take any of our sponsors for granted. You are the true heart beat of the event and without you none of this would be possible. We ‘THANK YOU’ again! We would be remiss if we did not thank the communities of Flint, Burton, Grand Blanc Township and the City of Grand Blanc. Their collective cooperation in helping put on this event is greatly appreciated. The City of Flint’s Downtown Development Authority, Flint Parks and Recreation, the Grand Blanc, Grand Blanc Township, Burton, City of Flint and the Genesee County Sheriff police agencies, have all contributed to making our event a great success. To all of the local Chamber of Commerce groups which include the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce, the Burton Chamber of Commerce and the Grand Blanc Chamber of Commerce, we thank you for the great support.

Planning is already underway for next year’s 6th annual ‘Back to the Bricks’. We are keeping it to five days for next year and it promises to be bigger and better than this year’s. As most of the committee members deserved a few days to relax, I escaped to the north and slept for two days. The batteries are now charged again and the ideas are beginning to roll in. One last thing, to all of the car owners; your vehicles are the show and we appreciate your patience. Putting on an event of this magnitude is no small task and sometimes patience runs a little thin with everyone wanting their way. But with that said, by 10AM on Saturday morning, all was good and a great time was had by all. Look for our September update. Thanks again to all!

Cordially,

Al Hatch, Chairman
Back to the Bricks Cruise and Car Show

Bookmark and Share
© 2005-2009 Back to the Bricks | All Rights Reserved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts