Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Vert with a SBC. Around town, it almost never gets over 180. On the freeway the temp rises sometimes upward of 210+. When I get off the freeway and back on city streets, it goes back to the 180 range.

I searched an found a similar thread where someone mentions "Spoilers by Randy." but there is no follow up post about success or failure of the spoiler to remedy the problem. I have a Griffin aluminum radiator and a puller electric fan with a full shroud.

Anyone have any comments about a spoiler under the front bumper influencing the freeway heat rise or the spoilers sold by Randy?

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
My son and I both have Randy's spoilers on our 68's.

My 68 has a inline 6, AC. mechanical fan, no shroud, original style radiator.
It maintains about 195 in local moving traffic and highway speeds.
It can tolerate stop and go for awhile but not prolonged (spoiler not at fault)

My son has a 383 stroker, 500+ HP, alum radiator, AC, elect fan. shroud.
I have never seen his engine overheat in any driving condition.

I have personally met Randy and he is a good guy to do business with.

Lou

·
Registered
813 Posts
I understand that a chin spoiler might direct some additional air towards the radiator at highway speeds.... But during highway driving, you should be getting more than enough airflow thru the radiator to keep your engine temps normal (even without the chin spoiler).

I would be looking at your engine tune and carb jetting.
*What kind of distributor are you running?...and do you have your vacuum advance hooked up and operating?
*What is your initial mechanical only timing (No VA) and what is your total mechanical only timing?
*If connected, how many additional degrees of advance is your vacuum advance canister providing?... and is it hooked to a full time or ported vacuum source?

A lean carb jetting situation can also cause the engine to run hotter and would be more noticeable at highway speeds (light throttle cruising). Pull a few spark plugs and look at them. Are they a light brown/tan color?... or are they more whitish around the electrodes? A whitish color would point to a lean situation and I would increase the carb's primary jets 3-4 sizes.

The last thing I can think of is your radiator shroud design. Is it very flat and close to the radiator? (Post pic if possible) If so, the fan shroud may be impeding air flow thru the radiator at highway speeds.
A quick test to determine if the fan shroud is the problem would be to completely remove the fan and shroud assembly from the radiator and go for a highway drive (I understand the engine will run hotter at stop and go driving, but this technique is only meant to test air flow restrictions at highway speeds).

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
I forgot to mention that both of our 68 has a block off plate that closes up the hole from the top of the grill to the radiator.

That helps direct all the air to go thru the radiator.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
"Anyone have any comments about a spoiler under the front bumper influencing the freeway heat rise"

1st -- my car is a 69 - 3rd gen.
factory a/c (on a 250 - I 6) ... has a 3 row brass radiator (V01 , H D cooling .... (V8 radiator, factory installed) .
car was bought new in Phoenix, AZ ---- the reason for Factory Air .
2nd -- because of "Factory A/C" -- it also came with a 7 blade Fan .. V8.. .. # 3947772 (18" dia fan). With a 'Fan Clutch' (6 cylinder a/c only ... very short shaft style fan clutch).

and ....

3rd -- the Factory A/C Novas came with an "A/C Baffle (plastic)" mounted under the front bumper. This 'A/C Baffle' close's off the front area -- under the front bumper ... back to the 'front frame cross member .
Helps from sucking up that "HOT ROAD HEAT" -- into the engine bay
... and directs more cooling air to go through the radiator, and into the engine compartment .......... (does that make sense).

this 'A/C Baffle' shows in my "Factory Assembly Manual - as
.. part # 3940212 (listed under C60 - B3 ) .......

So, Here's the "Point of my post" --- combine the VO1 - HD cooling , 3 row radiator, 7 blade Fan, Fan Clutch, and THIS CLOSE OUT BAFFLE ........
working together to help cool your engine ...... it works !
Because THAT BAFFLE is still on my car ..... (alot of people must have thrown away those 'plastic baffle's' , when working on their Nova's.

Just wondering IF You Can Make / or Close up that opening under your front bumper area --- To Prevent That Hot Road Heat from coming up into your engine bay.

Here's a picture of that A/C Baffle :

#1 -- A/C (plastic) Baffle ... for factory a/c Nova's

#2 -- you can see - the broken small mounting 'Tabs' on the front edge (two tabs broken off)

I'm thinking of making a new baffle -- using some metal flashing , even making it in two pieces .... then, pop-rivet them together.
Make a pattern from some card-board : 1st " part with a bend -- 2nd part with it's bend " then fit & rivet together .

sorry for th' book ....... just a good idea ...... :D

jim

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All points worth exploring, thanks to all. I think I'm going to take this in phases.

A very smart OG at the local parts store asked what kind of thermostat is installed. When told it was an off the shelf, he said he has thermostats with a larger flow capacity. Suggested I look that that. I will do that if it will flow more water.

I ordered a front spoiler yesterday. It will be here in just over three weeks.

Next will be a different water pump, hopefully with a better flow rate.

Then putting flappers in the fan shroud although the jury is still out on that one.

I'll keep you posted of success :D or failure :mad:

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Even though the solution is low on your list, I agree with RifRaf's suggestion,

"The last thing I can think of is your radiator shroud design. Is it very flat and close to the radiator? (Post pic if possible) If so, the fan shroud may be impeding air flow thru the radiator at highway speeds."

You said, "Around town, it almost never gets over 180", that rules out needing a new thermostat, a new water pump & adding a front spoiler to direct air to the radiator. That's a lot of wasted money.

Mike

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
X2 something is restricting flow at highway speeds. It's harder to cool things at a slow pace, on the freeway the airflow is there, something is restricting or diverting air away from the radiator. My guess is the fan shroud.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
All points worth exploring, thanks to all. I think I'm going to take this in phases.

A very smart OG at the local parts store asked what kind of thermostat is installed. When told it was an off the shelf, he said he has thermostats with a larger flow capacity. Suggested I look that that. I will do that if it will flow more water.

I ordered a front spoiler yesterday. It will be here in just over three weeks.

Next will be a different water pump, hopefully with a better flow rate.

Then putting flappers in the fan shroud although the jury is still out on that one.

I'll keep you posted of success :D or failure :mad:
Phase one Complete. I bought a Mr. Gasket "BALANCED HP THERMOSTAT this afternoon. I am told this item will increase the water flow. After taking everything apart, I found the installed thermostat was a 195 degree off the shelf. I bought a new thermostat making sure it I got a 180 degree. Put it all back together and took a test run.

In town it ran just shy of the 180 mark. On the freeway at speed it rose to 195. That is 15 degrees cooler than before on a similarly hot day. If it continues to run 195 on the freeway, I will be a happy camper. For anyone that cares here is the item on the Summit web site. Onward to phase II https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-4364

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lots of people don't think they make a difference, but a high flow thermostat is worth using. If your temps around town stayed just above the thermostat rating (which is good), but rose on the highway, that is telling you that you don't have enough airflow at higher speeds.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I'm just wondering --- any up-dates of "installing a front spoiler" .

any Better News ?

and, how do you like that'new thermostat ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Spoiler by Randy on my '68 and will be ordering one for my '63. They are good solid products and they look good. I don't believe it will help you much with your overheating issue but you never know. I personally love the look. Additional air flow is just a plus.

I'm in line with Rif. Many other issues to consider first that are cheaper and easier to address. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts