Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700R4 in my car. I bought this transmission about 7 years ago from a fleebay dealer. I am pretty sure the thing was put together from junk parts. It makes all kinds of noise and vibrations in 1st and 2nd gears, has harsh, CAR CLUNKING down shifts, the lock up clutch function will not hold any power what so ever....yada, yada, yada. It was supposed to be built with all good parts, a Beast Sun shell, heavy duty parts through out, etc. The guy who built it has a bad reputation for transmissions built around that time period. I will leave it at that as specific vendor bashing is not allowed.

This transmission is the only thing in my car I did not build myself and of course, it is causing me all kinds of problems. I am thinking of pulling it out, tearing it down, seeing what parts are really inside and then going from there. I am thinking of buying one of these parts kits and rebuilding my 700R4 myself. Anyone ever do this?

http://www.monstertrans.com/store/products/700R4-Rebuild-Kit,-SS-Mega-Monster%2dIn%2dA%2dBox:-1987%2d93.html

This kit seems to have all the good parts required. I know there are a few specialized tools required, but I think I can make/machine those myself.

Ron

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is the place I used when I rebuilt mine http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=19.
This is the kit http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=189&cat=19&page=1
There is a few special tools needed, I rented them from a local transmission builder for the weekend. They don't work weekends, he included the bushing drivers etc. I did have to put a hefty deposit down but he only charged $50 to use for the weekend.

The monster kit looks really complete. I googled and yahooed and shopped around talked to a few before I bought because I didn't know what I was looking for lol.

It's been together about 5 years I used a 2600 rpm Vigilante 9.5" torque converter and a good trans cooler have about 40,000 miles on it so far.
You can do it.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. The kit you used looks very good too. The kit I was looking at comes with 5 gear planetaries instead of the stock 4 gear ones. Do you have any comments on the advantage or not of the 5 gear ones?
Ron

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I bought the kit and tools to do mine myself from Dana at Probuilt. (700r4.com) I took it all apart, started to reassemble it. After I went to the local trans builder for advice the second time I went home and brought it to him in boxes. It's sitting under the car right now, ready to go in this weekend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the information. The kit you used looks very good too. The kit I was looking at comes with 5 gear planetaries instead of the stock 4 gear ones. Do you have any comments on the advantage or not of the 5 gear ones?
Ron
The 5 gear planetaries are stronger than the 4 gear ones, I'm not sure what percentage but it's a improvement and recommended for anything over 450 horse from older research I did.

I broke several of the local transmission shops 700r4's. Had a friend of mine running one of the pro-built units using a lot of nitrous and on slicks and never broke it. I decided to build my own using their stuff, super nice guy at the time answered a lot of questions. It's been together ever since and took some hard track time more than once. I think I'm going to try a 200-4r in the deuce when ever I get there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
BTTT
Anyone else try their hand and rebuilding an 700R4? Can anyone recommend a good book on 700R4 rebuilding?

I guess I am going to keep up with my car building moto of "I will try anything once" and give it a go.
Ron
With the right tools it shouldnt be to hard I did a th 400 about 20 years ago it was easier than I thought

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
I can offer a tip for ya Ron... lint free shop rags/towels. :thumbsup:
Fuzz can be hurtfull if excessive so try to go lint free. :D

Sorry to hear of the problems... :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
BTTT
Anyone else try their hand and rebuilding an 700R4? Can anyone recommend a good book on 700R4 rebuilding?

I guess I am going to keep up with my car building moto of "I will try anything once" and give it a go.
Ron
I've rebuilt many 700s. When I was in the military, I learned how to re build my own, then others needed help and it turned into a lucrative hobby for awhile. Lost my butt on a F350 tranny, but gave him his money back (minus parts).

you can do it if you've torn into an engine. Be sure to build you some seal install tools (I used .032 safety wire looped into an end of copper tubing...hammer the tubing down to clamp down on the ends of the safetywire) This tool won't cut your seals like feeler gages can.

Also need a way to compress the clutchpacks to release and install the snap rings. I built one from all thread and a couple of U shaped bars going thru it. Crude but it worked on the cheap.

For a vertical holder, I initially used a piece of plywood on my workbench - with about 8" overhang - 0n this overhang, I cut a hole to set the tail of the tranny into (stand the tranny up on end). You can drill bolt holes too once you pull the rear off the tranny and bolt the tranny upright with the output shaft thru the hole. Again, worked on the cheap! Now I have the propper tools - by the way, that first transmission is still shifting awesome - 7 years later in a 56 Chevy truck!.

I always bought the latest manuals the Pro builders used - ATSG books. These books have any upgraded parts/holes/issues solved and explain how to test the tranny on the bench BEFORE installation! Great resources!
Here's where I got my questions answered - http://www.700r4l60e.com/ He's a great guy and will help the little guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts