Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a quote over the phone today of $375 to fix my spun cam bearing? It isnt realy that bad either. Block wise.
How much should this cost?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
they're gonna align bore the cam bores and use oversized bearings... price sounds about right

i'd think they're gonna do 'em all too, i doubt they'd wanna do just the one... gotsta make sure they're all in alignment

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Cam Journal Fixed?

Hey Now pro-touring. I read the earlier post and now this post. What you have is someone who did not check and place the CAM brgs in the correct places in the block. Not all Cam brgs are the same outside diameter, they are stepped in size. Sounds as if a previous assembler mixed up two Cam brgs and didn't recheck to make sure the oiling holes lined up also. With the Main brgs on your earlier post, true the Cam brgs were part of the problem. You need to check the line bore of the block with main caps torqued in place. Then you need to check the crankshaft for straightness. Use a Dial indicater on all the mains. When you install the Crank; Don't use rear main seal yet. First, install the block half main shells and coat with oil. Second, with the crank clean set it into the mains in the block. Third now spin the crank, it should turn freely. If it doesn't something is still not right. Block or Crank is not straight. Four, if it turns freely lift out the crank and install the first half of the rear main seal in the block. Five, set the crank back into the block. Six Now install the rear caps, one at a time starting whth the thrust brg cap. Seven check end play and make sure crank turns freely. Eight, repeat this process with all the main caps. When the mains are torqued and without the timing chain installed; the crank should still rotate easy. Sincerely, "Bill's" II :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts